HEIC files Linux

How do you import HEIC files on linux?

Turn to handbrake?

Cheers
Tony

Sorry. What I meant was how to do it in Linux land. My solution was to use affinity photo on iPad then send an icloud link. Feasible but slower than an in Linux land solution. Gimp doesn’t work.

this is probably the best you can do

i think ffmpeg might support it now if you build from source as well.

tbh just use some mac to convert them…

I have Handbrake running on Linux (still on CentOS not Rocky) with no issues and use it to convert outside of Flame, but I’ve not used the Linux box for a while since getting the M1 MacBookPro. There is also Resolve for Linux. Again I’m still running CentOS (will change to Rocky soon) and have Resolve Studio running alongside Flame.

Cheers
Tony

1 Like

does resolve load heic still images from the iphone? interesting never even thought to try that.

handbrake though soudns weird as thats ffmpeg ?

I don’t have my Linux booted up but have just shot an HEIC on my iPhone and it imports fine into Resolve on my MBP.

I think I used ffmpeg, but Handbrake is my kneejerk place to go to on almost everything that I want to get to MP4/H264.

Cheers
Tony

yea because ffmpeg doesnt support heic i thought thats why i was wondering hmm? you sure you mean heic still images and not hevc videos?

offtopic but shutter encoder > handbrake both are ffmpeg based but shutter is like new and fancy and nice.

I dotn think either can do heic still images however.

Heic stills yes. The new iOS/ISO thing.

imagemagic should also do it just fine.

1 Like