How to : check proper VFX plate Linearization (tutorial)

Even though this is done in Nuke it might still be useful to some of you as the same stuff applies in Flame, I just couldn’t be bothered booting up linux for sampling pixel values. 😉

I am showing a few different Methods of how to check if linearization was done correctly, a important step when you are working with unknown or non-mainstream Cinema cameras without a proven track-record no aces IDTs e.t.c

This is also the basic theory of how a HDR merger tool like ptgui or photoshop works in aligning jpeg or photogaphy raw stills into a linear HDR (or IBL) from bracketed shots.

But yea its a bit of a special case, but this process helped me nailing why the N-Log ingested plates where feeling really weird when working with them.

Hope this is of help to some of you!

7 Likes

Thanks for sharing! Very helpful. Any idea what would be the equivalent to Nuke’s CurveTool in Flame?

Nope but if you find out let me know, I always use nuke for “image analysis” tasks tbh its just way more flexible for this “scientific” stuff. even a color source, if you make it the value “10” in flame it is 10 linear so that sfine but when you go back it it shows “1” again.

Flame is still in many parts in video world :slight_smile:

Curve tool is a godsend it can really help with deflicker or matching flicker e.t.c such a nice thing to have.

1 Like

I know, I use the CurveTool in nuke alot. Also for example for matching lightchanges when using patches for retouching. And concerning colourscience I also feel much more “safe” in nuke. I was wondering if something like the CurveTool was brought to flame in some way over the past time and I maybe just missed it?

1 Like

I also have thought that it would be nice to have something like the curve tool in Flame. It probably would be simple to create a Matchbox that does the brightness analysis portion of the node but I seem to recall that Matchboxes can’t create keyframes on their own so that would definitely limit the potential for it.

2 Likes