I just spent the last 30 mins painting with Wash

I feel like I’m 23 again!

8 Likes

Wash is so 90s. Pixel spread Interpolate with photoshop color ftw.

1 Like

I’m a “pedantically drag the edge out past the matte” guy myself.

Taptaptaptaptaptap………

4 Likes

I used desktop paint last week - it was so great and much better quality when using tiled than batch.

By the way, wash still rules.

you are not alone @andymilkis - i did this a few weeks ago on a tough key.

@johnt - pretty much abandoned desktop paint as it gives lots of problems with colorspace and is soooo sluggish…

@randy i still love pixel spread too… but for targeting little tiny details it feels like surgery with a chainsaw. Not sure i follow the combo with photoshop color tho… care to elaborate?

1 Like

@randy may use this differently than I do, but to fix finicky suppression where I’m have like brown or blonde hair that’s going magenta, etc. I’ll do an interpolated pixel spread (or even just take a colour source and sample the hair dominant hair color), then use photoshop color blend mode and matte that in to the areas I need it. The advantage is that you can swing the hue easily without effecting much luminance-wise, and you’ll still have all your teensie fine details that would normally just get wiped out by a pixelspread and give you strange artifact in your comp.

2 Likes

I’ve been burned by desktop paint in the past that it’s put me off for ten years. However, I still think there are some things that work better in desktop paint and wish they would be incorporated into batch paint. In this case, the reason I went in to batch paint was to use the Tiled option which doesn’t soften the picture. Wish this was in batch paint.

1 Like

Using Pixel Spread CAN be like using a chainsaw, but not when using Interpolate and using some of that to drive chroma only edge work. Every once in a awhile with Alexa ProRes blue screens, especially those that have super soft fuzzy edges, I get crazy magenta edges after the Master Keyer despill. Sometimes I use the Pixel Spread Intepolate to make new chroma edges and use Comp Photoshop Color over the spilled edges to sort them out through some edge detected edges.

3 Likes

I gotta try that!

My friend @randy showed me a cool way to despill blue screens without the crazy edge. You should hit him up.

1 Like

Savage.

My favorite way to despill when Master Keyer lets you down.

Blue screen.
Grab 3 Mono nodes.
Set one to Red, one to Green, one to Blue.
Comp Max the Red and Green.
Comp Min the Green and Blue.
Then feed the Comp Max into the Combine Red Channel, the original Green into the Combine Green Channel, and the Comp Min into the Combine Blue Channel.
Boom.

Green screen.
Grab 3 Mono nodes.
Set one to Red, one to Green, one to Blue.
Comp Max the Red and Green.
Comp Max the Green and Blue.
Then feed the Comp Max into the Combine Red Channel, the original Green into the Combine Green Channel, and the Comp Max into the Combine Blue Channel.
Boom.

Like a so.

24 Likes

Legend!!!

2 Likes

Welcome Gretchen!

1 Like

I may tattoo the schematic of this on my forearm

4 Likes

Hi @andymilkis ! Thank you!

1 Like

Hi Gretchen, hope you’re well!

1 Like

@Stefan !!! Thank you! Hope all is well!

2 Likes

Gretchen! You’re here!

Love this setup. Not seen it before.

Can you show the screen shot of this setup ? (Wash color use pixel spread interpo with photoshop color)
Thanks