I was today years old when I learned…

I don’t know if I learnt something or misapprehended something but, on this subject of constant learning in the labyrinth of Flame someone mentioned in this week’s LogikLive about once discovering that there was a Batch within Action after only seeing an Action node in a Batch set-up that they’d been supplied. I am really hoping that this meant the modular keyer in the media list, otherwise I might have missed something really quite big.

Cheers
Tony

I think they meant the MK, since it now has (it didn’t always) all of the basic batch nodes, including paint. I just don’t trust the MK, so I never use it for anything beyond some simple keyer adjustments. Also, if I recall, the ability to context view is limited.

I used to use it when I was only a Smoke user and didn’t have access to Flame. I remember the scales falling from my eyes when Stuy Holloway did a demo of dust motes in Britain’s Next Top Model session and used the modular keyer as a pseudoBatch for the poor people who didn’t have Flame or access to Linux. I was on a Mac and using Smoke 2012 and I suddenly had access to some cut-down version of Batch instead of only desktop tools or soft effects. Since having Flame I haven’t used it since (from inside of Action).

Cheers
Tony

I absolutely love the MK. I sometimes build quite large MK setups for a key, to me, its’s a neater way of working rather than having a sprawling, nuke lookalike setup.

5 Likes

This is amazing. All week I’ve been picturing in my head Flame Operators (@andy_dill) requesting week-long pilgrimages to Flame HQ in Montreal…sweeping the floors, getting soy machiatos for Stephane Labrie, mending Fred Warren’s Buffalo Bills themed foam finger. And at the end of the week if they do a good job they get to chose whether the Color Corrector is spelled Colour Corrector or Color Corrector for the next release.

5 Likes

I’d definitely chose “make the flame play an air horn sound until the auto key button is down” given that opportunity.

3 Likes

I would like development specifically into generating a moderately painful electrical shock through the tablet when some anarchist leaves autokey on for no reason with keyframes all over the place not animating. Might need to run this through legal, but I’m sure it’ll be fine.

1 Like

It’s just visual but maybe this autokey annoys you better. It’s not that ugly than the other vanilla ones (the reason why I created it)

stereotokey.zip (7.5 KB)
Overwrite the files in Autodesk/presets/20XX/menu/icons and select on the autokey button in batch, with rightclick, “stereokey”.

3 Likes

OMG @paul_round This is ANOTHER amazing thing I never knew about :scream:

I knew why the blue dot :large_blue_circle: showed up and I am always looking out for it so that I can squash those pesky rouge key frames (#agentOfAnarchy)

2 Likes

“I would like development specifically into generating a moderately painful electrical shock through the tablet and chair, when some anarchist leaves autokey OFF!”

1 Like

I think we have to deescalate the autokey wars, and just agree that the most sensible compromise is to have autokey only work half the time, randomly. This is like the Oslo Peace Accords. You’re welcome for my service.

Flame is like politics, there is no ‘one size fits all’

Same

I don’t wanna take away from Joel Osis’ credit given by Fred, but when I was in Montreal in 2014 I asked for this specifically. Devs said it was a great idea.

2 Likes

Yup, this is the way.

I totally forgot about it, just came across it on a bigger setup i’m reworking from last year:

The viewsettings in batch have an diabled Navigator that can be enabled. Much faster to get around in big setups.

1 Like

Here’s one that I remember and then forget to use and then remember again all the time.

Let’s say you have a 1000fr shot but the work your doing is only fr243- fr455 and you want to do a prerender. A comp node animating transparency from plate to comp to plate will save you exactly no render time. BUT using a mux node with two inputs with key framed input selection between plate and then comp and then back to plate will save you loaaads of render time, with no need to splice clips together in a timeline or slip around in batch. The plate will render basically real time, then the comp will render how it’s gonna render, then back to the plate rendering in real time, all in one neat and tidy clip.

7 Likes

Yup, use this all the time. Batch and Action aren’t optimized to know when to render and not. Except Action does slightly improve speed if you lock your media layers if they’re not animating sources.

2 Likes

As a sanity check for connected conforms I colour all the segments in the main/longest edit to one colour then click through the other edits to make sure they’re all linked. Then at least I know any segments that dont have the matching colour are unique to the edit or didnt get linked properly

6 Likes

or a vuvuzela like at a football game in UK

1 Like