If adsk optimizes for Apple silicon...?

This is all speculative, but very interesting given the initial M1 benchmarks, extrapolated to a high-end desktop chip.

“ The highest-end machines are planned to feature 64 or perhaps 128 graphics cores and “would be several times faster than the current graphics modules Apple uses from Nvidia and AMD”.”

https://9to5mac.com/2020/12/07/apple-silicon-mac-power-macbook-pro/?fbclid=IwAR2omAa-uIeLnBUcdHyuAkU2_-ryTWMbm0bnnblOjNM4Yq0VStNAWnY1aGI

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure that to get that sort of performance, Flame would need to use Apple’s graphics API, which is called Metal. I don’t think Flame is using Metal now but a google search for Autodesk and Metal, shows they updated AutoCad for it so maybe they will for Flame . Either way, I think there will be some interesting opportunities for developers to create new apps with Swift and Metal that will run crazy fast on Apple silicon that could potentially leave older apps running on X86 in the dust at a fraction of the cost.

3 Likes

We are also in hope that Arnold will support Metal API with it’s GPU Render in Maya…

1 Like