IMAC Replacement SPECS

Hi All,
My IMAC Pro has died and Apple have offered to replace it with an IMAC. (Imac Pro-is eol)
I would be interested in everyones thoughts on the specs.
I’ll be doing pretty heavy comp work in Flame (4k) along with MAYA.
Thanks in advance for your input and advice.
Regards
Nicky

Nano-texture glass
• 3.6GHz 10-core 10th-generation Intel Core i9 processor with Turbo Boost up to 5.0GHz
• 128GB of 2666MHz DDR4 memory
• Radeon Pro 5700 XT with 16GB of GDDR6 memory
• 2TB of SSD storage
• 10 Gigabit Ethernet

1 Like

Welcome! That’s a pretty popular configuration around here. Some artists use slower, some use a bit faster. If you are accustomed to the iMac form factor I say go for it. Was there anything about your previous machine that you didn’t love?

1 Like

Hi nickyl. That’s interesting - could you please share what the reason was for you dead iMac Pro?

Honestly - I would give it a trail with your new iMac but seriously please be aware of a lot of user feedbacks regarding the thermal behaviour if you have a high clocked Intel in the machine combined with high loads like MotionVectors. I would recommend to make sure by benchmarking, that the clock speed will not be reduced due to high temp development in the normal iMac instead of the Pro. If this is the case - I don’t know how the performance is comparing to a machine like this here. I’m interested also in the same topic even if I have two iMac Pro’s running the hold year (10 cores) - good luck man!

1 Like

Heat management is always a challenge in a form factor that doesn’t really have any fans. The iMac Pro to the iMac is likely close enough where if you were fine before you’d be fine again. Unless the reason your iMac pro died was because of heat and dust.

I have to blow the dust out of my Mac pros every few months. I’m at home. With kids. And pets. Air filtration helps a ton as well.

1 Like

Very interesting…
At the beginning of February, my iMac Pro croaked in the middle of a shot. At 11pm. On a Sunday night.
It would not start back up. It was determined that the logic board died. After a week of waiting, I picked it up. Started a job the next day. Died again! Replaced logic board again. After another week, I picked it up. Two days later, guess what happened? Back to Apple. This time ram and flash memory were replaced. I’ve been working steadily for the last three weeks, so I’d like to think I’ve made it through the woods.

The whole experience with various “geniuses” and various levels of store managers was really off putting. Enough to where I’m seriously considering going the Linux route next year.

@nickyl - What were you asking of your box when it went belly up?

@randy What are you using for air filtration? I’d like to step up my forced air game.

I’m a huge Wirecutter NYTimes fan and thusly have this….

https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/out/link/7595/150103/4/122934?merchant=Walmart

Thanks everyone for your responses. New IMAC arriving next week,
My original Imac pro issue was the power supply and logic board both died, Apple replaced with a new IMAC pro and after 4 weeks the power supply failed on that one.
Thanks again for your input, appreciate you guys making the effort,
Nicky

Something tells me that your power source may not be clean. Make sure the new machine gets connected to a surge protector or UPS.