It's been an amazing experience! Thank you

Sad World Series GIF by MLB

3 Likes

Thank you and Good Luck with your next Endeavour.

Thanks Will! So great knowing you all these years from the demos at Venice office, and user group meetings! You were and are a staunch advocate for the Flame User and man how Flame has grown in recent years. Keep us updated on what’s next. Cheers!
-Danny Yoon

1 Like

Thank you for all the hard work!

1 Like

So long and thanks for all the fish.

Seriously though, you have done an outstanding job and always willing to listen to the artists and facilities utilising Flame. Really appreciate everything you’ve done. Hope your next adventure is a successful and fulfilling one.

Enjoy!

Thanks Will for all you did!
From that little dark demo office in Venice CA talking about all the cool new features and listining to folks like me … asking wouldn’t it be nice if……
…to running point on Flame software.
That’s pretty awaesome! You will be missed!
Best of luck! …and remember to “save the desktop”!

Skoal!

2 Likes

It’s been an amazing experience all around. Flame has really taken off under your wing with the excellent Dev team it has. Best luck in future endeavors. I hope we see you around.

1 Like

Thanks Will! Never had the opportunity to meet you but every video presentation was like Christmas Day presents. Good luck. Keep in touch.

Yeah I remember Will as the lead product manager, mainly, but I loved watching his demos at NAB, etc. The football one, the toothbrush one, and the Swatch one. Please become an independent demo contractor! Not a step down but a step across. There are not enough demos bringing Flame to life, and the days of the trade show demos were a real golden age. It’s a false economy to have saved money by getting rid of these (speculate to accumulate, invest in mindshare, etc.). Grant does a super-duper-great job, and his new training videos are doing a great job of putting Flame in context, and the independent work of the Logik demos are also great, but the NAB/IBC demos, sometimes with invitees, and often with demo artists like Bill Ennis, Joe Billington, and Stuy but it was Will who really brought the software to life and just nudged ahead of the other three hero demo artists. Nice one Will!

Cheers
Tony

PS. I sometimes still watch those and often think that Bill Ennis gets a hard time in the comments (“wish that guy from Autodesk would shut up.” etc but I think he did a nice job of slowing it down and reinforcing and punctuating. Soz for off-topic ps.

3 Likes

Sorry to see you go, Will. All the best for you future endeavor

Thank you Will! All the best to you!

1 Like

Best of Luck in your new (intriguing) adventure! You’ll be missed!
dm

As with all periods mourning, mourning must come to an end. Who will be the next lead product designer of Flame? It is pretty surprising that nothing has been announced. Are AD moving into an acephalic territories or rudderless sailing? Not a great place to be, methinks.

I thought Philippe Soeiro (as well as Will afterward), was a great voice for Flame’s direction, and always added a strong sense of identity to giving voice to the philosophy of the product. Here’s hoping that Autodesk is hiring and finds someone, again, who is capable of being a megaphone and voice for the Flame project and projecting Flame…

Cheers
Tony

Small correction: Will was not Flame’s Product Designer but Product Manager (Philippe was indeed the Lead Designer during his stint with us).

6 Likes

Soz 'about that Fred, see your point!

Cheers
Tony

I’m not really sure that Steve McNeill is the new product manager. In fact I think the devs that are here on a nearly daily basis are basically acting in that role… I’d rather interact directly with Fred, Stephane, JF*, etc… directly than a product politician.

2 Likes

That is what I am saying… I don’t really think there is a new guy.

Politicians certainly have a bad rep and certainly should keep out of my eye, in reference to this great song:

I fear that if this position is not filled, it is yet another dilution of Flame’s already diminishing public(ity) returns that seems to dilute and diminish and cannot afford to dilute and diminish much further, within a strange bid for suicide by stealth, which the company could only end up regretting when they would no longer have a realistic offering. I am befuddled. by the strange autoimmune fatalism that has someone giving up on themselves. The product manager, the public face or, to use this naughty term, the politician, provides the ability to mirror the product, to provide a mediation to the quasi-external communitas of its value and what it needs to embody. Gone is NAB, gone (apart from “crowd-funded” outsourcing such as Logik that does a great great job, but should not involve the company sacking or forsaking its own self-commitment to portray, and not self-betray, the value it holds in its product) are the properly framed product announcements and framings, and it cannot reduce much more before Flame lack the embers to kindle its properties of presence and mindshare. It has felt for quite some time that a fatalism has set with that the lack of publicity and political (look at the related etymologies of polis-agora-oikos) positioning that many other products have come in to take away. We all know the work that Blackmagic put into Resolve to get it circulating (who the f’ knew Resolve at the time in the wider world, much like Quantel) and now every student in the media Universe has a copy on their laptop. Autodesk should be hiring a voice, a megaphone and someone who can really help to frame Flame (not as a lone voice, but as part of a sustained marketing drive). Bet someone like a Fred or a Stephane, driven as they are, could fill that space, but then their roles would suffer and become diluted. Time for AD to concentrate or continue self-sabotaging and presiding over their own product’s demise, without any help from the competition.

You don’t have to worry about this, it won’t change.

3 Likes

Side note - this track came up on my ‘discover weekly’ last week!

1 Like