Logik Matchbook and the Legacy of Logik

A few thoughts.

First, @julik continues to host and administrate Logik-matchbook.org. So, that isn’t going anywhere. And if it does for any reason, ‘Logik will find a way.’ Trademark that.

Second. The very beauty of Matchbox shaders, unlike traditional plugins, is that they never, ever expire or are unrenderable. The code, once it hits a Batch or BFX or composite, shall live on forever and render exactly as it did upon its install forever. I find great comfort in the notion that Mark and Ivar’s legacies are scattered throughout the world as little ones and zeroes and will continue to be passed along the digital highways and byways in a unique version of spreading ashes.

Third. There continues to be a small but powerful community of shader writers and developers within our community. Since Flame is a speciality of a speciality of a specialty, and writing tools for Flame is another few exponential specialities removed, it will always be just a handful in size. That’s just pretty much the nature of that skillset. It is up to us to support and lift those that have and continue to celebrate the shader writers and python devs, many of which are members of and active in this community.

Fourth. I’m under the impression that Autodesk has nothing to do with Ivar and Mark’s legacy. We do. They are and will forever be one of us. Autodesk has set the table, but it has been our community that has delivered a rich and robust ecosystem that helps make our weird worlds of futzing with pictures that much better. Think of how we have risen and who has elevated our community in just the last few years alone?

Fifth. It is up to all of us to contribute. And I’m not talkin’ 'bout the obvious contributions here. You don’t need to have written a darn thing to have supported this community. Entering a OFoW, is sufficient. Attending a Logik Live is sufficient. Demonstrating a new technique to a comrade is sufficient. Taking a junior artist under your wing is more than sufficient. Liking a post is sufficient. Just showing up here is sufficient. Installing someone’s plugins is sufficient. Reaching out to someone and saying thanks for sharing their Python tools is sufficient. Inviting a friend to our young community is sufficient. All of these don’t require much. The only thing it requires is for each and every one of us to, pardon my French, give a shit. Just a little bit.

Sixth. This is a critical time for our community. Part of my remit for Logik and this forum was to provide a long term platform to connect artists, protect our collective knowledge and experience, and, most importantly, to make the world a better place for people that one day want to do what we do. I think we know better than anyone that in order for something to be done and done properly it really should be someone’s job to do it. Amazing things get started by collective generosity, but, are typically only perfected by consistent and daily effort. AKA, a job.

I have a ton of really crazy ideas. Wouldn’t it be nice if…

…we had access to a part-time Matchbox Dev?

…we had access to part-time Python Dev?

…we had access to a part-time systems administrator?

…we had access to a part-time business developer for freelancers?

…we had access to a part-time accountant?

…we had access to a part-time legal counsel?

…we had access to a part-time career counselor?

…we could provide financial grants to underserved members of our community?

…we could provide donated and/or subsidized hardware and software for training and development of new artists?

…we could provide a training, education and certification platform for our artists?

If one or some of these are appealing, then, what is it worth? What does the community need and what are each of us willing to do to get it?

34 Likes