Looking for Guests for Logik Live on Paint Techniques

Hello Logik Community!

At the end of today’s show, I talked about starting the conversation about an upcoming episode of Logik Live focused on Painting in the context of compositing work. I use the paint node as much as the next Flame artist, but I definitely wouldn’t say I’m a paint expert-- but I’m on the hunt for one! Or two! Or three?

What I had in mind was to focus mostly on technique as opposed to specific setups. I think most of us might not bat an eye at someone demonstrating a stabilize-> sequence paint → unstabilize workflow, but what I think would make for a great Logik Live would be something like:

• What it looks like to paint at a very high skill level
  • Techniques to avoid boiling when painting frame by frame
  • How / when you use the more obscure paint modes: shade, smear, wash, impression
  • How / when you use some of the more obscure paint brushes

This is just to list a few pathways that I can think of off the top of my head, so this definitely isn’t a list set in stone. If you can come up with some other ideas of what YOU would like to see, the more ideas the merrier. Obviously since this is technique, it doesn’t HAVE to be limited to Flame, and we can branch it out to Silhouette if someone is so inclined. If you have some footage you can share that you can use, great, otherwise, since this is just technique, maybe we can just use stock footage and find good examples of technique there.

If any of you would be interested in participating or if you know someone who might be a great fit for an episode like this, feel free to respond here or shoot me a private message and let me know if there’s a particular area you’d like to focus on. Chat soon!

5 Likes

I think this will be a great show.

A few things I’d be happy to contribute:

• Painting with blend modes to achieve dogde/burn color corrections when painting
  • Using dynamic paint vs. clean-plate paint to deal with changing lighting conditions
  • Painting from neighboring frames, and using source transforms
  • I’m assuming drag and reveal is well known, but might deserve coverage
  • Thoughts on how to avoid boiling (how to do a object removal in a 360 shot with just the clone brush and no tracking).
8 Likes

You know, if someone could just tell me what they use the “Impressionist” mode for, I’d be a happy camper!

3 Likes

Think of it as an auto-sampled color brush.

The color at the center point of the brush at the beginning of your stroke is sampled and then fills the whole brush as in a regular color brush stroke.

Super crude fast demo:

Screenshot 2024-07-22 at 3.18.07 PM

Simply took impressionist brush (huge brush size), and did 5 brush strokes, one with pant color, one with shirt color, twice with arm color, and once with white.

Use cases??? Well, unless you want impressionist painting - not totally sure. I guess if you need to paint out some small area, this saves you having to sample the color. But you lose the texture, so I’d rather use clone brush instead.

I assume this was requested by someone in the past for a specific use case. Maybe @fredwarren remembers?

If you really want to just paint art, I’d use Adobe Illustrator…

2 Likes

Thanks for the explanation. I always figured that’s what it did, but I could never really find a use for it. It’s just such an odd tool to carry over from the desktop paint tool, when so many other, more useful (IMHO) tools weren’t. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

If you set your blend mode to photoshop and use the colour blend mode, you could use it to paint icky grey suppressed edges on motion blurred objects. I normally do this by just sampling area by area as I go through, but I could see this working a little more efficiently. Never used it before though!

5 Likes

To be 100% honest: It was already there when I joined the Flame team and never knew/found any use for it other than for the Impressionist look itself. Sorry, I cannot help you one this one.

7 Likes

Hey !
I think and use the impressionist brush like the mixer brush in photoshop.
Sampling all the color and the output is an average.

2 Likes