New update: Flame now supports Apple M1! šŸŽ‰

Time to go shoppingā€¦

1 Like

Now if I could only get my Promise Pegasus2 to work on the new machine!

Iā€™ll keep testing.

1 Like

Iā€™ve seen some good numbers as well. I ran some batch setups of mine through my 2013 trashcan, an M1 MacBook Air with 16 gigs of ram and a M1 Max MacBook Prowith 64 gigs.

The TLDR is Iā€™ve been fairly happy with my trashcan running Flame, and the MacBook Pro is quite a bit faster.

Setup 1: 2.5k media
5m 20s on the Trashcan
2m 40s on the MBA
1m45s on the MBP

Setup 2: 4.5k media
4m 09s on the Trashcan
8m 32s on the MBA
1m 47s on the MBP

Setup 3: 2.5k media
2m 37s on the Trashcan
3m 09s on the MBA
1m 31s on the MBP

Setup 4: 4.5k media
2m 20s on the Trashcan
1m 42s on the MBA
0m 29s on the MBP

Setup 5: 4.5k media
1m 03s on the Trashcan
1m 01s on the MBA
0m 30s on the MBP

Setup 6: 4.5k media
0m 48s on the Trashcan
0m 51s on the MBA
0m 19s on the MBP

15 Likes

anychance someone with a threadpripper pro will get some render stats going? Mineā€™s not coming in for a few weeks.

The benchmark exists. Fill it up.

1 Like

none of these benchmark things really matter though, basically it feels better than my Mac Pro and its quicker. canā€™t wait for it to be native. just think what could be achieved. You only have to look at how fast resolve is on the M1 max to see that.

4 Likes

Would be interesting to run one of those setups on our i9 / Hackintoch machines.

2 Likes

Downloadable Trial is not 2022.3 yet. Donā€™t try itā€¦

Itā€™s very interesting number!

But is there an intention to make it native?
Would be amazing, Iā€™m already amazed how well my M1 air handles Blender for exampleā€¦

You mean Alder Lake? The numbers show that those CPUs are no joke, and are faster than M1. That is just the raw computing, and is one part of the equation. The Apple Silicon is unique not so much because the raw computing, but also due to its low latency among multiple components. Once native it will be very telling just the full capabilities of this new architecture. But as is, is rather impressive!

2 Likes

I hope so. Thereā€™s a lot of potential here. My MacBook Pro absolutely blasts through redshift and x particles stuff. And resolve is so fast.

1 Like

Autudesk still ā€œrecommendsā€ intel chipsā€¦ why?

I would assume this is because M1 support relies on Rosetta 2?

Philippe Soeiro

1 Like

At the moment, yes it is!

For some reason I just remembered an all-hands meeting at 10 Duke in MontrĆ©al with Carol Bartz from Autodesk, sometime in the early 2000s, where she was asked about developing Mac products. She declared the Mac ā€œirrelevant.ā€

Anyway, congratulations to my friends in MontrƩal for what sounds like an extremely snappy flame update.

2 Likes

Iā€™m absolutely loving flame on my Apple Mac book pro M1 max. Super nippy. Really usable.

7 Likes

Autodesk doesnā€™t recommend Intel chips over Apple Silicon. The note regarding ā€œIntel Core i7 or higherā€ on the System Requirements page only pertains to the Intel CPUs. We will remove this line to avoid any confusion going forward. Both Apple Silicon and Intel CPUs are supported and recommended by Autodesk.

7 Likes

Thanks! Thatā€™s great news!!!

So, the performance must ve phenomenal, no? Are there any benchmarks yet?

Thanks!

JORGE CALVO

Logo_Ch22_2022_MAIL.png