Old film chroma color shifts

Hi Logik pros!

I’m looking for a way to fix subtle shifts in color across long shots for old films. Across a minute long clip the color gradually shifts to a yellowish hue and then back. It’s subtle and hard to see unless you A/B against frames from the beginning of the clip compared to the middle of the shift. Hoping someone can point me to the best tool for something like this, and or a “how to” video of how to tackle.

Thank you much, Cheers,

-Chris

I have no clue if there is a tool for this, but here’s where I’d start:

Use the Logik Matchbox “Y_Sample” and have it output a consistent color. Stabilize the image so that it’s always sampling an area that’s the right color.

Subtract that sampled color from the plate, then add back a static frame of it when it’s the right color.

Sapphire’s flicker match may address this too, but I haven’t used it in a while. Possibly also worth looking at Ivar’s “crok_newbalance” which auto-white balances stuff.

Maybe you could try separating YUV then changing the exposure of the U and V channels using the waveform as an “eyeball”

reference. Then recombining?

If the content stays relatively the same across the the length of the shot, Match Grade in NukeX might work. I haven’t tried it but somebody created an OFX that I think does the same thing in Flame. Search the forum for Match Grade and you should find it

Is it a flickering change in colour or just a gradual shift?

have you explored any of the dedicated tools for issues like this? PFClean, DRS Nova & Phoenix are three that come to mind. Having done a bit of film restoration I have to say that the tools designed for the job do make life easier, but you do need to factor in the time to learn them.

Diamanté is another.