On-set rig setup

In may @craig.higgins had asked about on set keying. Here’s my setup and some quick info…
We have a 2015 MacPro trashcan running Flame. I usually create an animatic with bfx setups for animations like text and packshot. I capture the output from the camera directly and replace the shots.
We use an M1 MacMini running Isadora. It’s a real-time audiovisual engine, aimed at live performances, concerts, video mapping. We have a DecLink Duo 2 in an extension box for capturing 2 or 4 SDI sources, usually setup for 2 inputs and 2 outputs.
It can overlay these video sources, text, guides and capture video as quicktime. It is a node-based real-time compositing environment with additional support for MIDI and USB control.
We have a Streamdeck and an Akai LPD8 controller for adjusting parameters physically with knobs and buttons. It also has blinking lights as a bonus…

There is a video matrix to send camera outputs, Flame output, or Isadora output to the director, DOP and client separately.

As always, hit me with questions…

6 Likes

Thanks Sinan, I’ve not seen Isadora before… does it have a keyer? We used Assimilate live assist previously

Yes. It does have a simple chroma keyer but I prefer on-set comping the material in Flame. It would work for interactively setting up the set though.

Sure, but does it make coffee?

No. But neither do these.

1 Like

Thank you for the kind words. We are a production company with our own motion control robots and studio, so it’s an in-house production rig. Kudos must go to my colleague @Terje who put in all the design and implementation efforts.