Open timeline

does OTIO support time warps yet?

I dont think so. Unless they updated to RationalTime v2 in Realease 16

I had no idea you worked with @ALan!

I’ve done a lot of conforms in both systems. Resolve seems to search through media faster and find more things too. Plus it links to way more medi formats than Flame does. In terms of resizing matching from AAFs & XMLs, they are on par. Flame tends to get speed effects correct a bit more regularly but often when something hasn’t interpreted right then the other isn’t also (usually more to do with how editorial has done it). Overall, I’d have to say that I find Resolve to be a better conform experience.

Manipulating shots in Resolve definitely isn’t as fun in terms of repositioning & resizes.

Does Resolve handle gap effects from AVID? It didn’t when we tested it. And time warps weren’t as accurate as in Flame. We found more came across from an AVID bin/AAF than in Resolve. It’s ok for conform, but aside from that and grading it’s a C+.

Actually… it does seems like Resolve have its own way to save timewarps as OTIO metadata.

Not really sure how does it works for making it available for other software. I dont think is very usable at this point, but is good to see they are making the effort to move towards the standard.

1 Like

Resolve cannot even properly import timewarps from its own exported OTIO file.

Original on top, imported bottom.

2 Likes

don’t all these companies actually need to agree on how TWs are applied to footage first? Without some sort of baseline the results will never match or may not work at all as we see above.

It’s crazy to me that after decades and decades of doing this we’re still no closer to TW’s coming across accurately with conforms. Whilst not trivial the underlying maths can’t be that hard - the issue, as TimC mentions, is getting everyone to agree on a standard.

1 Like

accurate according to who is the problem. Not to mention the ROI for each company to go back and make those changes in likely non existent.

Industry standards and integrations of common formats do happen, when it benefits the company or there is significant market pressure. Outside of that, not so much. The old paradigm - you have to find what’s in it for them. If you can’t, don’t hold your breath.

Part of the problem may be that for the bigger shops they have their workflows designed what works. But where we see more issues is in the random mid-market combos. Unfortunately those players don’t quite have the impact on the Adobes et al.

There are many good examples both hardware and software. But they tend to move at glacial pace. I’ve been on a few standard committees over the years. So when you take someone like BMD who races down the road, a standard would always be out of date in that speed mismatch.

2 Likes

The whole point of Open Timeline is to be able to get things such as TimeWarps/Speed Effects working across multiple apps.

My post was more along the lines of Flame being another major piece of software contributing to support open timeline which could make it better which in turn would be a good thing as Flame could better sit in a pipeline amongst other software.

The roadmap of OpenTimeline I really think will be cool when it gets there is having a live timeline hosted on the cloud somewhere where editorial, DI, Sound & VFX Vendors are all pointing to it and there is a daily sync. Would sure beat the hell out of doing regular conforms trying to deal with cut changes which happens so often. There are already tools in open timeline that help with things such as change lists.

So yeah, AAF might be a better transport medium right now but Open Timeline could be so much more than that, if more software and people get on board.

1 Like

If you want to understand OTIO better, here is good information.

2 Likes