R3D Color is okay, and not a hell world

I will go over the ingesting of R3D stuff into ACES on sundays Logic Live :slight_smile: covering all the viewing transforms and going the full manual route in batch instead of using the aces preset in Flame as well.

3 Likes

Cannot wait to see how badly I’ve butcher the process! @finnjaeger thank you for putting that together. I look forward to watching it.

1 Like

If you wouldn’t mind answering another RED workflow related question. I believe I have the ACEScg workflow down. The issue is I’m surrounded by Adobe acolytes that may very well try to burn me at the steak for even suggesting ACEScg right now. So i’ve been trying to run the same logic through an old fashioned scene linear workflow (that may only get me shackled in the town square) but I believ I’m doing something wrong.

so, my current understanding and what I have working in batch for a legacy color workflow is as follows:

Red Wide Gamut to ACEScg to Rec709

Step1.
Under Format for the Clip
Color set to IPP 2
Colour MGMT / Tagged as Log310/REDWideGamutRGB

Step2.
Colour MGMT node:
Set to Input Transform
Input Color space: From Source
Working Space: ACEScg

Step3.
Colour MGMT node:
Set to View Transform
Tagged Colour Space: From Source
View Transform: ACES 1.1 SDR-video (Rec709 limited)
Display: Rec.709 video

So I can get from OCN to Rec709 and things seem to be peachy.

So then I try to do the same thing with old fashioned linear as follows:

Red Wide Gamut to Scene Linear to Rec709
Step1.
Under Format for the Clip
Color set to IPP 2
Colour MGMT / Tagged as Log310/REDWideGamutRGB

Step2.
Colour MGMT node:
Set to Input Transform
Input Color space: From Source
Working Space: scene-linear 709/sRGB

and this is where things go sideways for me (unless that happened above and I just don’t know it yet)

If i use the below, I get a 1 for 1 match against the Rec709 I made from the ACEScg. That of course is the goal, but the setting doesn’t make sense to me since i’m not stepping down to Rec709 from ACEScg:
Step3.
Colour MGMT node:
Set to View Transform
View Transform: ACES 1.1 SDR-video (Rec709 limited)
Display: Rec.709 vide

but if I try to use something like the below, I get a large shift in the mids and no longer match the ACEScg worflow:
Step3.
Colour MGMT node:
Set to View Transform
View Transform: Linear (PhotomapLC) - (this is the closet setting i was getting to the aces look)
Display: Rec.709 video

Not sure if i’m just not using the correct combo or not. I have Lin to Rec Luts that are not behaving after my red Wide to Scene Lin conversion, so i’m at a bit loss here.

Hope this makes sense and thank you in advance for any Input.

could you send a batch files or samples? (pn is fine) so I can see a bit better what is happening, I am not sure what you are trying to match :slight_smile:

The word Adobe makes me scared though. Adobes colormanagement is horrible, best case is using the adobe ocio plugin and using aces there but its very painful.

So the main thing Maybe is that you are doing a gamut conversion from /RedWideGamut to /709. If you skip that your luts should be good again,
, to do this you want to go from log3g10/RWG to linear/RWG. then you have a thing that would match how nuke default works, as nuke doesnt take the gamut into account if that makes sense.

Usually luts arent made to work on linear though as you can have issues with clipping there so I am a bit confused about that workflow.

regarding the part about if you add a from source to aces 709 colormanagement view transform on your linear/709 stuff

• if you look into what happens in the steps in the outliner thing, you will see that it will do a full conversion from linear/709 to aces709 going via aces2065 e.t.c The view transform is not just a “stupid” lut its a very smart thing , so even if you hook it up directly to the log3g10 input it will still display the same as from a acesCG source.

I’m still incredulous that the academy sets up and standardizes ACES and yet there are a billion armchair warriors armed with a half days worth of YouTube that argue that it’s unusable.

My mum would call these kinds of people special.

I’m not that generous.

R3D to ACES to delivery in ACES.

It’s not hard - all the hard work and the PhD level maths was done for us.

Just push the buttons.

And all the argumentative monkeys - give them some crayons but make sure they don’t eat them.

1 Like

that sums it about up.

Adobe == very special though. m

1 Like