Restoring motion blur after roto

Afternoon all,

I’m doing some screen comps today. The screens were shot with some stockmarket tickers and graphs and the like on them, and I’m replacing that with some “generic” stockmarket tickers and graphs and the like.

Tracking the screen in has been fine, I’ve just got to add back in the guys hands and pointing finger that’s waving around in front of the screen. I couldn’t get a key becuase of what’s already in the screen, so I opted for G Mask tracer and a few hours roto.

The roto is fine, but I wanted to ask what’s the best way to rebuild some motion blur into the comped fingers and hand? The hand is waving around loads and his finger is almost all motion blur. If I soften the matte too much you see too much of the original background which is much much brighter than what I’ve comped into the screen so that won’t work becuase his finger grows a bright halo. I’ve tried a few things, but any advice, as always, graciously accepted!

3 Likes

you can stretch the hand with pixelspread and pull it into your comp or action as a forground.
Then soften the roto, maybe it will work.

1 Like

If it’s blurry and fast moving enough, I’ve solved this in the past by painting in batch paint and Drag-brushing (turn off that wretched Consolidate!) the fill of fingers/hand outward into the soft edges. If it’s moving a lot, the paint work is very forgiving.

3 Likes

Thank you both. I did have a play with Pixel Spread @Fabi, I was hoping that’d do it. I’ve got a small gradient on the g masks, but I’m usuing motion blur in the GMask tracer node to soften the edges for me. It seems my edges are so large I just seem to get a bulging effect on the whole image, not just the edge bit?

Maybe I’m comping the pixel spread back in wrong, I’ll have another look.

Thanks again.

Comp it. Make it look right ish if and when there’s no motion blur. Then downstream do motion vectors and motion blur the comp. Paint reveal from the comp to that newly motion blurred comp as needed.

In other words, you aren’t restoring motion blur, you are making and adding new motion blur with only the things you genuinely want in your composite.

8 Likes

Yes, also using this trick a lot. Make sure you’re not painting/dragging on the end result. But on the plate of the finger before comping it over instead.

remember to regrain any of those paint strokes though!

1 Like

I tend to use Reelsmart motionblur for this… works well and quite quick. … just noticed they’ve finally moved away from sparks too… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I gave up Reel Smart years ago and use the built in Flame version. Reel Smart still workin well for you thought? Must be with the OFX version, right?

I’ve been using the the old spark up until I recently discovered that there’s an OFX now… it worked well for cg that didn’t come with proper movecs or rotos that needed some mblur added.

I had this very problem with a tennis racket once. I ended up traking a still frame in and once MB was applied it looked spot on.

This plug in was a top favorite when I had access to it at the company that had it. Very easy to use, and fast. It was particularly attractive and useful when I was working on Ads for children’s cereals that had 2D supplied animation (think Tony the Tiger), I was often supplied animations that did not have blur and the added effect was awesome.
Side note, I do not choose to pay for this plug-in on my machine today. There are ways around as mentioned above. But I suppose if you have a use for this often it can be worthwhile again. OR maybe someone would write a matchbox that can do this with vectors?

It’s cheap enough nowadays… by the way… I sometimes also end up using the old school trick inverse parenting an axis and tracking that one…

1 Like

Well… 170$US for a one trick pony isn’t necessarily cheap in my books. It is just another expense onto a long list of expenses.

As I hinted in the previous comment, if I had a need to use this daily or a big job that had repeated uses for it then I would consider. But Otherwise their are other “acceptable” solutions.

1 Like

Any reason the built in Flame Motion Analysis feeding a Motion Blur node falls short for you? I have good luck with it.

I’ve done this as well.
It’s alright, not awesome… and very slow to process when comparing to ReelSmart.

1 Like

Speed… also… it’s a bit like optical flow timewarps (before @talosh came up with ML TW) … sometimes twixtor works better, or flame native, or … x… … so I usually try both to see what works best…

1 Like