RGB channel separation

Hello Folks,
I had to replace the background in a shot and had problems with a red area in the semi-transparent ones, which I found difficult to get out.
I then tried to filter out the red using the RGB channels and it worked fantastically. Unfortunately I have no idea what this method is called. Maybe someone has a few tips and tricks.
Thanks!

Here is the setup:

Here the before and after:

3 Likes

Nice solution. You can call it channel separation. Also you can use the Separate node which has 3 output tabs. It can sparate RGB as well as YUV and HLS which comes handy sometimes. The Combine node you used can be used for YUV/HLS too.

1 Like

What are you doing in the cooler correct node? De-Sat?

Yes Channel séparation IS very usefull !
I’ve seen in the past a similar tips but forgot how to do it. It allowed to only change the luminance of the image whitout affecting the color, in case of someone know and can explain :raised_hands:

1 Like

You could separate out in the separate node HSL or YUV and then recombine. Just make sure the combine nodes are set to the same thing. In HSL you could put a cc on L(lightness) or in YUV you could cc Y(luminance)

2 Likes

@eversondigital
there I turned the green channel in the direction of the red channel via the gain

You can also do that in the MasterGrade Matchbox, under curves, H-H curve allows you to rotate specific hue ranges. You have curves of H-H, H-L, H-S, correcting hue, saturation, and luminance for a specific hue range.

You do get a nice fall-off on the range. You can add control points to narrow the range.

There are corner cases where it has a hard time isolating a hue, and you have to fall back to other methiods. But 90% of the time that’s an easy way to swing colors.

And if you need help finding the hue in a complex image, set the eye dropper on your problem area, and the H-H curve will show a vertical line where that hue is. Then you can either add a point on the curve (A + click), or move one horizontally into place:

5 Likes

Joel Osis once showed a trick of sharpening just the red channel to limit that icky black edge fringing when sharpening and it can be a nice trick in a pinch. Throwing it out there as well!