Self Care ideas

I’m looking for some self care ideas. What are some things you do that help you take care of yourself?

2 Likes

Well in terms of health, I love to exercise but only the kind of thing that gives me pleasure during and not just after, not sure this makes sense. So I love riding my bicycle and swimming, but I hate running for instance. I’m trying to get back to the habit of reading wich I really like, but there are so many other easyer distractions that I tend to just watch a movie. I always try to watch some at least on a hard day, just to break the cycle of working, eating, and sleeping and nothing else, when things get too hectic. That’s just to help with my mental health.

Going back to body health, this might be a bit controversial, but here goes. During 2019 I was starting to feel too lazy and every day there was to many moments during my day where all could think was sleeping even if have no reason to be tired, so I decided to give it a shot and decided to stop eating meat and and a lot less sugar, and that changed everything for me.

Well this are some of the things that have been working for me, and I learn that it changes from one person to another, but these are some ideas. Sorry once again for the long text.

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing. Diet is definitely the…umm…low hanging fruit…of self care, isn’t it?

2 Likes

Yeah, the diet thing is definitely something that bit me in the ass, I was always the first one to make fun of vegetarians, my wife always make sure to remember that hahaha. But I still love pizza and sugar I just lowered. The thing is that coca cola was like my cigarettes you know. At least 1 litter a day (sorry I don’t know how to transfer that into gallons haha).

2 Likes

Well congratulations on making some big changes. Vegetables solve everything, don’t they?

1 Like

Thanks a lot man! Vegetables definitely solve everything!!

2 Likes

The trifecta of diet, exercise and sleep.

Diet first: cutting down processed food/increasing whole food intake (fruits vegetables. Reducing caloric density when possible, reducing fatty foods to maintainable levels. Balancing you animal and vegetable proteins, if you’re not going entirely plant based. I was vegan for a long time but started eating some poultry last year. Everyone needs to find their own balance. Every morning when you wake up drink a liter of water before hitting your preferred stimulant (coffee or tea). Make sure you follow up that liter with one or two more. Remove sugary drinks from your daily. Consider cutting back your alcohol in take.

Exercise for me has been key. With the lockdown, online programs have become a thing and I signed up for one run out of Deuce Gym here in Venice down the road from me. Then program is called Delta Bravo and essentially it’s 5 workouts per week meant to only need a single set of dumbbells (which you can buy through them if needs be) and some room to move. Each work out is under an hour and they will leave you winded.

I also run a few times a week—distance varies but I did do 18k yesterday—but an hour long walk would give you everything you need. I should mention that I really don’t like distance running but I am a fan of certain podcasts and the combo of running to a podcast makes a long run almost bearable. Ultimately what’s most important is developing small atomic habits you repeat and combine into larger daily, weekly and monthly routines integrating exercise fully into your life.

Lastly it’s sleep. Turn off your devices an hour before bed. Read. Think. Mediate on the day. Mindfulness practice. Wind-down and sleep a full 8 hours. This is so insanely important. Unless you can recover your next day will be shit, or at least a shadow of what it could be.

Like most things baby steps are a winning strategy. Big changes are unruly and will inevitably fail. Manageable and meaningful tweaks, additions and course-correction lead you to bigger moments of change.

My 2 cents.

8 Likes

I agree, diet exercise, and sleep are all key.

But you won’t do any of them, if they’re not fun.

I mountain bike most days, because I live near mountains and it’s a blast. This has the benefit of making me super tired at night, so off to bed I go at a reasonable hour. I lift a few weights, do sit-ups and pull ups most days, and it helps me look better.

Reading every night works great for distracting me from the cares of this world. I plan for an hour of reading in bed before 8 hours of sleep. Of course some books have the opposite effect. I have a bit of trouble sleeping, especially when I’m stressed. My doctor thinks benadryll (sp?) is the best thing to knock you out. Works great.

Diet is also key to getting the most out of yourself, but keep it fun. I’m mostly vegetarian, but it doesn’t prevent me from putting a thin slice of turkey on my quesadilla, or eating a whole hamburger a few times a year.

I’ve lost over 35 pounds in the past two years. Mostly from watching my portion size and exercising. Holiday sweets put a couple of pounds back on, but they’ll disappear quickly.

But also you have to carve out time for yourself. With a family and work, it’s a real challenge to find time for the things you love. I try to spin a few LPs ever week, and enjoy a glass or two of wine. I watch a lot of movies and quality TV shows. Being happy makes everything else easier.
Good luck!

2 Likes

The Benadryl knock-out is interesting to hear about. Anecdotally I stumbled across using NyQuil after a viscious bout with the flu a few years back and it’s been my go to when I’m too wound up or sore to get myself wound down enough to sleep. I’m surprised and relieved to hear that there are people with actual medical degrees who recommend a similar strategy.

Makes me feel a little less ratchet for guzzling cough syrup from time to time :joy:

1 Like

Not saying this is the solution for everyone: when I tried not drinking for a while my sleeping became incredibly deep and restful.

4 Likes

Yep. I’ve basically quit drinking at this point. Boring perhaps and socially awkward at times but I’m better off without. I’ll have a glass or two of champagne on New Years with the missus and that’s enough for me. But as you said, to each his own.

2 Likes

As far as health and exercise goes, I think 2020 was hard for everyone. At the beginning of the pandemic there wasn’t much of an issue. Since I was working from home, I was able to get a bit more sleep every day, there is a running path by my house that I was get on after work hours, and not all open gyms for sports were closed. Eventually gyms closed, and although they might be open now, I still don’t feel totally comfortable going back into them. It now is pitch dark by 5pm and is a brisk 25 degrees fahrenheit during the day anyway (I live in the Midwest). Exercise almost doesn’t (or hasn’t) existed for me for about 2-3 months now. Mostly laziness on my part, but also lack of motivation to do it at home where I’ve never done it before.

I will say, however, that back in April I decided to completely give up all liquids and substitute with water. My goal was to drink a gallon per day. There are days that I fall short, or only get about half a gallon in, but I can honestly say that it has had a positive affect on my health, despite the lack of exercise compared to other years.

Aside from physical health, self care was something I tried working on. It was never really a thing I thought I needed until I needed it. For me, I found that I am most happy when I am around family instead of alone. The biggest thing that I did for my mental health was to be around my immediate family and it has helped me tremendously.

3 Likes

Diet, exercise and sleep are definitely important things that most of us probably can do better. Sometimes we need more than that, though. I was going to therapy before the pandemic but I haven’t gone since March. I’ve mostly been okay without it but there are moments I wish I could still go. I hope anybody who’s feeling really bad can feel like they can talk about it here - or talk about needing a professional without feeling stigma about it.

A Nuke Artist I (and some other people on here) worked with a lot over the past couple years took his own life a few months ago. I don’t really know why or what kind of help he was getting, if any, but if anybody is feeling bad, I’m sure there’s a lot of people who’s going through a lot of the same issues and would be more than willing to talk or help out in some way.

3 Likes

Thanks @eddieloera, appreciate you sharing this. Yeah, the Chicago winters are tough for self care.

besides the others that have been stated above, shutting down all electronic, no social media and just getting outside for the entire weekend usually does wonders for me, winter camping is surprising fun for me. Also training for events I do adds some seriousness to the task that can’t be pushed off, for winter one fun one is snow biking I have done a few races in alaska that tend to help the mind.

5 Likes

I’m utter garbage at self-care. My phone congratulated me yesterday for “only” being on it for over four hours.

That said, we got ski passes this year and I’ve been up to the mountain twice so far, and it was nice and peaceful and hard and rewarding. I’m going back on Wednesday.

4 Likes

You are absolutely right Greg, therapy helps a lot, and no one should feel bad talking about it. During the pandemic, both my wife and I have continued ours remotely, is not always the best, but also have its perks.

2 Likes

Sounds amazing Andy, in Brazil we don’t have snow, but I’m planning to go and dive as soon as possible. I did that last year before the pandemic hit us and is one of the most awesome experiences one could have.

2 Likes

They make a version now without any of the cold medicine in it called ZzzQuil in case you don’t feel like drying out your sinuses.

3 Likes

go get some backcountry skis, best thing ever and without the $$$ lift tickets, problem is you have to hike up a mountain but the ride down is super fun

2 Likes