Shotgrid has been ruined by ADSK

I think it really depends on your scale. There’s nothing wrong with Google sheets and frame.io.

I know that there is rhat, but I honestly rather deal with ftrack than with google sheets and frameIO :stuck_out_tongue:

Wlel ive used it for 5years or so everyday so I really really miss it, even on 3-4 people projects

I come from the opposite end of the spectrum and think ftrack is utter pony. We had it at the mill since 2014 and as of December 2021, it still wasn’t integrated. Absolute waste of money IMHO.

1 Like

oof… yes that sucks, we bever had any flame integration either but nuke man… well I worked for the company that invented ftrack sooo we had all the integration :smiley: Auto timetracking… you name it

2 Likes

What company was that?

fido film ( hence the name f-track) got bought/merged into goodbye kansas

1 Like

That’s funny… I didn’t know you were at Fido. I probably left Stockholm before you showed up but just to complete the Sweden loop @finnjaeger, my old boss and Senior Flame at Chimney Stockholm, Mads wrote Farmer’s Wife because there were no existing scheduling, invoicing and asset management tools available at the time.

The irony of a Flame artist writing tools for producers to get their shit together has always given me a chuckle.

3 Likes

One of the really frustrating things was (before ftrack) we had our own project management system that could show shots in edit order. We managed to get this hacked into ftrack but it was clumsy.

My question, can NiM do this @cnoellert @finnjaeger?

Our system could also hold email info and comments online with the project. And had an edl system in built that could assign shot names and check whether the shots in new edits were extensions all before the flame conform.

Not really @johnt

Infact it talks about shows not so much edits. I mean a show can contain all of the shots from the 90, 30 and the extra shots in the 15. If you used segment index to name the shots then you do get them in sequential order

1 Like

hehe you where at fido? When? I joined like 3 month before it became GBK and I also joined the Hamburg office (so it was me and petra there bascially) :slight_smile:

not really , we did timeline pulls with hiero and published them as a asset

I use keywords in the shot description that can be filtered in the search but is is a very manual operation @johnt

Editorial integration is the biggest lacking component of these systems and one of the reasons I wish there was a relational dependency integrated at a foundational level for media at the core—if I were building a system again from scratch that’s where I would spend the most time, essentially creating a mechanism for a workflow’s nonlinear interdependencies. Task based is great and serves its purpose for time cards but ultimately a system that can understand the relationships between onset, acquired media, editorial frameworks, assets, and metadata in a custom workflow is way more powerful.

But I don’t code anymore so that’s that. Maybe one day when I’m unemployed…

3 Likes

Never at Fido just in Sweden until 08 and then got stuck in LA…

1 Like

word, otio to the rescue for this but I totally feel you, its all shot basedX

We’ve started using Airtable after trialing FTrack and NIM. I built a pretty good project management template in a day which has been working well for us.

Airtable is essentially a hybrid between a spreadsheet and a database. And you can create all the views you need such as GANT charts, Kanban Boards, Calendars, etc; Plus you can create custom views too which is great to filter records to exactly what you need. So no real data management as such (though a good pipeline TD could actually integrate this) or review tools (though you can link to frame…io and such to get information if you are smart enough or have a decent pipeline TD).

To be honest, for the ease of use as well as our particular use case, airtable has been brilliant. It seems to be improving constantly as well. In a more complex pipeline, Shotgrid/NIM/FTrack might be better tools but for a simpler use case they are harder to justify and less flexible than something like airtable.

1 Like

We’re also using Airtable. I consider it a much more powerful and “stable” alternative to Google Sheets. Separating the view of the data from the structure of the data is a huge step forward. No more broken formulas, collaborators messing up columns/views for everyone, etc.

But integration remains our challenge, too. I keep looking longingly at Shotgrid/ftrack/nim as more robust systems with in-app integrations. I know how useful one of them could be for both our artists and our producers, but as a small studio, moving our whole pipeline over in order to even properly evaluate one seems so daunting, I don’t really know how to even begin.

+1 for Airtable. I’ve integrated with Twilio and when renders are done a webhook is sent to the Airtable API which uses Twilio to send SMS and WhatsApp notifications.

Chris you’re 100% right. I told the Shotgun/ShotGrid team YEARS ago that their system needs to be able to understand and interface with the edit. They gave me the same look my cat give me when I put her on the phone.

6 Likes

Hmm, :thinking: you should try some alternatives - Krock vs. Shotgrid - which software is best for you? - KROCK.IO - Blog

1 Like