Slow D/L speeds on FTP links, Cloud storage links like WeTransfer - Network Troubleshooting

I Know!!

There are many good options mentioned above… and i have personal experience with MASV, which is far superior. But in reality, this can be solved w money… I was really trying to see if there was something on my part slowing things down but it does not look like it. The conversation just digressed from there.

I know this might be unexpected, but @DanMargules this presentation that has been sent to you (and most of the copy) is actually what I wrote, along with the code which serves your WT downloads. It was possible to do it faster, but I was not the owner of the company and not in product management to make it happen. Frame.io works much faster because they force you to use their application for downloading and uploading.

One of the few things I did manage to finish (and hopefully will be released to users sometime this quarter) is a new upload engine which is not any worse than Frame.io while also not requiring the usage of a proprietary app.

I have spent 7+ years trying to make the experience of WeTransfer users like us better, yet despite getting burned out and doing a lot of great, innovative work apparently what I deserve is a puke emoji.

Sorry, this hit too close to home :frowning:

2 Likes

And another: I really personally cared enough to have this response written instead of “That’s what our systems provide, let us know if we can help with anything else”. This is way, way, way more than what you will get from most vendors. Look what you then get in return.

3 Likes

I am not dissatisfied in the response of Support, I am just dissatisfied with 8mbps download speed.
Unfortunately, it willl force me to go to the other vendors mentioned in this thread.

@julik , I am a simple flame artist trying to run a business… and 8mbs Down on this paid account isn’t sufficient. That was why I put the puke emoji. As far as the free 2G service, if that was what I was using I wouldn’t have had a complaint at all. I did all that support has suggested, we have run slower speeds on my network and not seen results. Yet other apps/vendors have significantly better performance. It is simply a choice.

There was nothing personal in my previous message, or this one. But I will still apologize if you felt that I have responded to anyone about this subject with disrespect.

I truly appreciate anyone out there that tries to make our daily computer life better.

Respectfully,
Dan

3 Likes

Whoa @julik, that’s super cool, and thanks for sharing. This seems like a classic situation of passionate artists and developers pouring their heart out into a product and for some reason not in their control it is experienced in a less than ideal way with the end user. As Flame artists we encounter this all the time. And it sounds like as someone behind the scenes for such a popular transfer tool, you are as well!

On the interwebs its easy to lose context and a lot of time, at least for me personally, I don’t always type in complete thoughts and typically only focus on the thread/topic/question at hand, so whilst I was hard on WeTransfer in that particular scenario, that’s obviously not the whole story. WeTransfer is a great service. I use it all the time. Its by far one of the most popular services for easy peasy filesharing at the sub 2GB level especially between agencies and studios and production companies. But, its lack of performance in the > 2GB world is a dealbreaker for most of my situations. I could rent a beach house somewhere for what I pay each month for dedicated fiber so I need to leverage and maximize that investment in order to become/remain competitive in a smaller market.

It’s nothing personal. We love and respect you for doing your thing. This is your challenge in today’s market. There’s lots of ways to do things and this is nothing more than experiences your market is…umm…experiencing. Hope this helps.

2 Likes