SSD storage

Hey there!
Does anyone here have any experience with the OWC 8TB ThunderBlade External Thunderbolt 3 Solid-State Drive vs. G Tech 8TB SSD? I’m looking to possibly purchase, and there’s a $3K price difference. I’d be working off this and archiving to something bigger and slower.

WHO THE HELL WOULD BAY $5,000 FOR 8TB OF FAST STORAGE? That’s $625 per TB! That’s insane.

Fast NVME storage should be in the $210/TB range for low end NVME like a Sabrent, and a bit more for Samsung.

Look at what the Mac Sales Thunderblade is. It’s probably 4 2TB NVME sticks on some kinda RAID controller. I can buy a 4 banger RAID controller from Highpoint for $400. Then, I can buy 4 Sabrent PCIe Get 3 2TB sticks for $250 a pop. that’s $1,500 with tax, shipped. So, basically that’s about $400 left over for a shiny external molded aluminum thingy and thunderbolt cable. Plus it probably includes a $79 SoftRAID license.

Do not buy the G RAID.

4 Likes

Thanks for confirming my suspicions!

2 Likes

I just bought the 8TB thunderblade and will be trying it out later this week👍

2 Likes

Hell Grant, I was wondering how was your 8TB Thunderblade, are you happy with it? Is it fast enough for 4K things? Are you running in on RAID 0?

1 Like

Yip! Raid Zero & thumbs up!:+1:
I can playback uncached 4K Exr’s at 25fps
I never really need any more than that

and here’s my sad old pegasus R4 for comparison😆

Cheers!
Grant

4 Likes

Hey Grant - are you still liking the thunderblade? is this the one you bought? OWC ThunderBlade
were there any surprises on setup or was it fairly plug and play?

Yip love it! Will buy another next year
Soft raid took me an hour or two to get familiar, but its really super easy

ok awesome - thanks!