Submenus via Python

Hey everybody!

Before I make a new feature request on Flame Feedback, I just wanted to make sure I’m not missing something.
I’m trying to cascade menus to make things a bit more organised, but I’m under the impression, that it’s currently not possible.

Here is what I’ve tried:

return [
    {
        "name": "level 1 menu",
        "actions": [
            {
                "name": "level 2 item",
                "execute": test
            },
            {
                "name": "level 2 menu",
                "actions": [
                    {
                        "name": "level 3 item",
                    }
                ]
            }

]
    },
    {
        "name": "level 1 item",
    }

]

Expected result:
– level 1 menu >
---- level 2 item
---- level 2 menu >
------ level 3 item
— level 1 item

Actual result:
– level 1 item >
– level 1 menu >
---- level 2 item
---- level 2 menu

@fredwarren can you clarify?

Thanks,
Claus

Yea, I don’t think you can do a level 2 menu. Would be nice though. It would definitely give better options for organizing menu’s better.

It would also be nice to be able to add a menu item into the main menu dropdown without having to go into any submenu.

Mike

That’d be great!

Yeah, that’s what I was trying to do with the level 1 item … doesn’t work at the moment (becomes a menu with no content). I’ll create a feature request and let you guys know. :slight_smile:

Ok, here we go - please leave your vote. :slight_smile:
https://feedback.autodesk.com/project/feedback/view.html?cap=5afe6c845cb3447ab36ccbd7f0688f84&uf=64ed1c0d558548d7b22412bf95dd488f&new=1&ifps=-898&f={8fbadb72-c1b4-44ad-b55e-888e3fdc17e4}&t=0&fti=2&d={1801a562-0680-4fdc-bf94-84528eea4f8e}

1 Like

You are correct, this is not something that is possible to do. That being said, I think it might be better to have a single improvement request for eveything related to the structure in the contextual menus and @MikeV had already logged FI-02123

I don’t know if you guys have a preference on which one should be kept, but I would keep only one.

1 Like

Voted for both.

I smell a feature request cage match. Two will enter, only one will leave…

2 Likes

Thanks Fred!
Can you merge requests on the feedback portal? :slight_smile:
When I did a quick search on the feedback portal, I didn’t come across FI-02123. It’s the same for the root level part, but lacks the cascading menus option.
During my search I found another very nice idea from @talosh to enhance the menu organization:
https://feedback.autodesk.com/project/feedback/view.html?cap=5afe6c845cb3447ab36ccbd7f0688f84&uf=9ef01c26d72d45f8980220b7ea1a006b

I’d love to see all three things being implemented. I think they all don’t need very much effort for the implementation, but would really enhance the clarity. :slight_smile:

Users can’t merge requests, but I can. Votes are automatically combined wen doing so.

5 Likes

Well, let’s merge it then. :slight_smile:

Out of interest: Are the menus Qt based so we could just have direct access to the objects and do everything one can do with Qt (like we can do in Nuke for example) or is the dict from the python hook translated into something we won’t have any access to?

2 Likes

I’ll vote for that!

2 Likes

Can I vote twice?

2 Likes