Talkin' Timewarps

Resolve runs on anything

1 Like

This is the sort of machine learning I want more of. I spend a lot (lot) more time cursing the existence of timewarps than I do fretting over mattes.

5 Likes

yea I totally agree with you but its nearly impossible to try and tell the client sorry your timewarp isn’t divisible by 100 can you please redo it.

1 Like

yea you are going to like the resolve timewarp its definitely saved my bacon a bunch of times now since I purchased it , I don’t even understand how it get such amazing results but it works and so far it far exceeds anything else I have seen.

4 Likes

I haven’t used Resolve in years. Is it as simple as importing footage running it through this magic, and exporting ?

2 Likes

Our very own @davejahns did a nice Resolve for Flame artists Logik Live, and did some round tripping.

Logik Live Episode #13: Resolve for Flame Artists with David Jahns

3 Likes

I’m not saying a timewarp should be “disible by 100” - what I am saying is that timewarps should be defined by frame-at curves, not by speed curves. So convert there at the earliest opportunity and never back :slight_smile:

The “divisible by 100” rule is so that any timewarp is throwing out an even number of frames (200% throws out every other frame, 400% throws out three and keeps the fourth, etc). Any non 100 number will either have skips or force motion estimation, which is where all the pain comes in.

It’s client-directed, or editor directed. I find many of them have no idea that timewarps can create a ton of work. It’s a real case of “I thought the computer just does that”.

Totally agree on BUILDING timewarps as frame-based and not speed based.

2 Likes

+1. Yes: “This is the sort of machine learning I want more of. I spend a lot (lot) more time cursing the existence of timewarps than I do fretting over mattes.”

On a recent job with a shot going from 21 to 42 frames, Resolve’s Optical flow + Speed Warp was usable with a bit of painting, Flame’s TW was just not usable, not even with painting fixes.

2 Likes

I spent a fair amount of time at my last staff gig shouting “timewarps are not free!”

The assistant editors were sympathetic, the editors were… not.

4 Likes

What I don’t understand is why it isn’t standard to have an offline with burn-in frame numbers. 20 years ago it was totally standard to have all sorts of time code/key code burned into an offline. Now, when I have a tough timewarp, editors act like I’m asking them to transcribe the dialog into ancient Sumarian when I ask them to run a burn-in through their timewarp

2 Likes

Fit to fill. The origin of evil. That function is behind how lazy editors are sometimes. It should be eradicated.

I generally ask for an aaf so I can get the key frames of a timewarp. And premiere seems to open all the aafs under the sun. I wonder if resolve is good at that too?

I love getting an offline with burn-in. Clip names and timecode. So useful and isn’t that what an offline should be?
What is wrong with asking for the unused takes to be removed? Clean up the edit. Remove unnecessary effects and export a VFX offline with burn-in.

Whilst I’m having a moan. Let’s put lens information back on the slate please.

@johnt had a quick play with Kronos and Resolve timewarps. I have this barrier when it comes to jumping in and out of software but I have to admit it is good to have them handy. I had never played with the retiming in Resolve before. Very impressed. I wonder if I should finish the clean up in Fusion? What is the paint tool like?

4 Likes

Bryan Bartlett used to rave about Fusion. But that was in comparison to shake.

Maybe the same regime is in fusion?

Can you get the Pybox working with resolve? It’s pretty useful with nuke for retimes.

Hello Andy,
Could you explain your gimmick please ?
It looks like brillant.

resolve optical flow has worked really well on a car ad recently. car swinging round a corner in front of lots of fine high contrast lines. couple of little paints needed but about 90% better than motion estimation with a motion analysis plugged in

2 Likes

I’d be real curious to know how that new ML Timewarp that a handful of us have been talking about recently would fare on a shot like that @MikeyBrown

@Jeff I installed it and had a quick test on the car shot and worked very very well. Nice it processed in the bg. unfortunately the ML only slows down shots and in this case the editor went for a nice round 137.2%. will definitely be my go to for anything that needs to be slowed down though. awesome work developing that

1 Like

Ha! Classic editor move right there.

Well maybe one day we’ll be able to add custom % to the ML Timewarp! One day… :sunglasses: