Talkin' Timewarps

I would love to see that emial reply as I have had many instances where an editor told me, “I did it in like 10 minutes.” A couple times I said then we sould ship your version.

1 Like

My biggest challenge is matching “Fluid Motion” time warps from Avid for motion picture work. There seem to be a lot of handles to play with in there to minimize artifacts. I would love to see this software replicated outside of Avid. I think Autodesk could indeed do some more work on their time warp module.

I also agree with adding “Fluid Morph”, a necessary evil. Personally I kind of hate the original premise. It seems to be overused as a lazy method for pulling up dialogue.

Here’s the FR for fluid morph: FI-01448

vote it up if you want to see it happen sooner.

I agree, they’re kind of awful, but also really impressive. I can understand why editors would use them, especially when they have to control for time.

1 Like

And this should also be tied into improving the quality of Motion Vector Timewarps. The new Resolve one just crushes Flame.

Everything crushes flame when it comes to motion estimation timewarps…

Going to try and put some more life back in this thread, I have a nasty time warp and curious outside of flames and twixtor what do you people use that might be worth trying to run it through?

1 Like

One gimmick I’ve used with some success is to stabilize the shot (1pt, 2pt, auto stab, camera stab, whatever) then do a whole frame timewarp and unstabilize it. The re-introduction of the camera movement can smooth over some of the time hops.

2 Likes

I hear Resolve’s new Machine Learning thingy is good.

1 Like

One option is to do the timewarp in batch but use a motion analysis node and feed that into your TimeWarp node. @space_monkey

This gives your timewarp another source for its motion analysis. You can soften the motion analysis from within its node settings, often removing some of the most destructive warping effects.

Not a silver bullet but a useful alternative. It has helped me on a number of stuttering beach, road and water shots.

1 Like

Resolve for the win, that thing blows the doors off anything flame or twixtor is doing, now I just have to buy a license since that feature isn’t in the free version.

3 Likes

Amen!

1 Like

Just in case anyone is curious I slowed this shot down 65% or something like that, woman bringing her coffee cup up and flame I added motion blur to smooth, twixtor was just super wobbles and resolve is amazing.flame.0001 resolve.0001 twix.0001

3 Likes

would you say Resolve’s $300 price tag is worth it, just as a timewarp “plugin”?

1 Like

@ALan and @randy so it the Resolve timeworn machine learning or is it based on motion vector timewarp? what’s under the hood?

1 Like

Considering Twixtor is close to $600 or something like that with a new license , it is definitely worth it from the 6 or so shots I sent through it since I purchased it and thus far have no noticeable artifacts like flame or twixtor.

2 Likes

My understanding is the Resolve one is Machine Learning.

1 Like

I would actually start from the other end

My advice to all who timewarp: If your speed isn’t divisible by 100, you will have problems.

My extra advice would then be: if your timewarp is defined by speed (and not frame mapping), you will have problems.

I have found twixtor to be quite awful. Maybe we have an old version. Kronos in nuke isn’t bad. However I am interested in this resolve. I take it you’re all on Mac to use it?

1 Like

Resolve runs on anything

1 Like

This is the sort of machine learning I want more of. I spend a lot (lot) more time cursing the existence of timewarps than I do fretting over mattes.

5 Likes