The Book Suggestion Thread

Recently read Hemingway for the first time. “The Old Man And The Sea”. Wow ! I see why he was such a big deal, incredible piece of work !

1 Like

Totally. I was poking a bit of fun at myself with the 10k and nipple tape remark. Not running Badwater any time soon but maybe one day I can suffer through.

A bit OT but regarding his dimensionality, I found all of the work he’s been doing with Andrew Huberman really interesting actually. The science angle of what Goggins is doing is fascinating in terms of neuroplasticity and how we can rewrite our brains.

Actually Huberman’s podcasts tend to all be fascinating really and he’s worth a listen if you have the time.

1 Like

Heya Chris

Yea totally I was just kidding ! a 10k run is more than hardcore for me these days :slight_smile:

Yeah good shout on Huberman, his knowledge is great, I love the approach that we can hack and shift and alter our minds if we allow ourselves to !

Seems like we are into the same things !

Have you explored Robert Anton Wilson ? His stuff is very much on the edge, even though it’s pretty old, and he was so well ahead of his time, it’s remarkable ! I would say even now, a lot of his work is beyond what is “understood” by science yet, but seems that we are approaching it all the time !

I’m also a massive Jungian. Not sure what your thoughts are there ?!

Ya know @vfxjamie I’ve never had a chance to thank you for this. This was a great recco! Thank you!

Just finished this one. One + One = Three, A Masterclass in Creative Thinking by Dave Trott.

Highly recommend it. It’s a super easy read with dozens of super short,1-3 page stories of unconventional creative anecdotes. Orson Welles, David Bowie, Peter Geffen, Ridley Scott…very relevant to our craft.

1 Like

The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F_ck by Mark Manson (Highly recommend the audio book on this one)
Born a Crime by Trevor Noah (He narrates the audio book and its fantastic)
The Fabric of Reality: The Science of Parallel Universes and Its Implications by David Deutsch
The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho
Meditations by Marcus Aurelius
You are a badass by Jen Sincero

@randy Thanks Rando! Ordered.

1 Like

@randy loving this read. You know me well.

1 Like

Read this on my summer break and loved it. An excellent recommendation thanks @randy

Now picking through this thread again looking for more!

1 Like

All the Light We Cannot See so far has been one of the best things I’ve ever read and I’m only halfway.

Paradise by Abdulrazak Gurnah was a short read but has haunted me a bit. I find myself thinking about it often.

2 Likes

I just read the first arc (chapters 1-97 or volumes 1-11) of Chainsaw Man and it’s the best.

It’s the first manga since Akira that I’ve felt the need to own physical copies of. It’s hilarious, violent, tragic, and sincere.

Also worth reading are the author’s one-shots “Goodbye Eri” and “Look Back” which are neither violent nor supernatural. Goodbye Eri is about a kid documenting his mom’s death at her behest, and Look Back is about two girls who write manga together. Neither is what you would expect from the person who concieved of this:

So yeah, if you’re looking for a good manga to read, Chainsaw Man is great.

3 Likes

The Red Rising series By Pierce Brown is really good. Mild yet epic sci-fi with plenty of action

Sadly this year i had to say goodbye to my little brother. I originally heard an interview with the authors of this book on Sam Harris’ “Waking up” Podcast and later picked up the book at Barnes and Noble. It’s sort of like the Lonely Planet guide for dying, a very practical book detailing how to deal with Hospice, grieving relatives and all other related matters. There is some philosophical discussion about the “fate we all share” which i found comforting as well, but it’s mostly a guide book.

"There is nothing wrong with you for dying,” hospice physician B.J. Miller and journalist and caregiver Shoshana Berger write in A Beginner’s Guide to the End. “Our ultimate purpose here isn’t so much to help you die as it is to free up as much life as possible until you do.”

Hopefully this will be helpful to others as well.

https://www.amazon.com/Beginners-Guide-End-Practical-Advice/dp/1501157167

15 Likes

So sorry to hear of your great loss @TimC. I also have a family member dealing with a hospice situation right now, I’ll refer this book to her. Thank you for your courage in dealing with this and for sharing it with us.

2 Likes

Loye ya @TimC

1 Like

I haven’t watched it yet, always hesitant with a book i really enjoyed, but i think i will

All the light was going to be one of my suggestions too

1 Like

It was phenomenal @DaveWishart. Truly one of my favorite books ever. I started Doerr’s Cloud Cuckoo Land a week ago and it has an undeniable likeness but feels rawer in a way. Still worth it 200 pages in…

2 Likes

Yes, I made my kids buy me that one for Christmas. Excellence.

It finally released. Give it a try, its quite good. Some people had problems with the accent of the main actor. But it didn’t bother me. Now I actually live in Mumbai, experiencing it first hand haha. Luckily my experiences are much milder :slight_smile:

Here’s a few:

MediaOnMyMind_0003
mastermind

onDirectingFilm

1 Like