Things I wish I knew before becoming a freelancer

If there was one thing I wish I new before I became a freelancer was how hard it is to get a loan from a U.S. bank as a freelancer. Chase Bank doesn’t care that I have double the income I had as a staffer. They needed me to sign all these affidavits and crazy forms and FECK ME. The ONLY thing saving me was that I had a bunch of income from freelance that paid me as a staffer via W2 payroll.

So before you become freelance, make sure you buy a car and refinance your mortgage if need be. SHEESH. Or be prepared to wait a solid 2 years before banks will give you the time of day.

What do you wish you knew before you went freelance?

1 Like

The fact that forums need a safe space, because as adults apparently replacing the letter U with E is all that is needed to not offend someone.

2 Likes

fuck that . . .

1 Like

I found that to be much less of an issue once I was able to show a previous tax return as an independent.

1 Like

Yes, I occasionally edit Topic Titles in an effort to keep things professional and safe for work.

*Things

1 Like

Doesn’t mirror my experience. Though I didn’t go through regular banks, but instead worked with business lenders directly to lease equipment. They just needed 3 months bank statements and the usual paperwork. I am registered as an LLC though, not as a 1099er. That can make a difference, but is worth it anyway. It also brings in a separate credit score into the picture.

I was able to borrow substantial amounts to front load the growth of the business in terms of equipment.

That is a problem with your bank, not your income stream.

Chase is too big. Try your local / specialty credit union where you are not one of a billion customers.

We have a local lender. We are an established customer with human beings; we know them and they know us and we’ve used them for multiple mortgages and lending. We are not a faceless entity, and that goes a very long way for relationship building and trust. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

I prefer the old English style “fuque.”

2 Likes

Randy, I feel your pain. Last year when I bought a house the experience was grueling and I wasn’t sure it would go through. Didn’t matter that my corporate revenue was higher than ever. They wanted to see W2, which was crap.

1 Like

We did the same thing in LA for 25 years at the credit union, and we also used a mortgage broker who we had a relationship with.

When we moved to Michigan we had to re-establish ourselves & buy a house and we didn’t even live here…so we went to a local bank.

1 Like

First Entertainment Credit Union. They know all about VFX people :sunglasses:

1 Like

The credit unions often have very favorable lending rates in our experience. And if you need a car loan they were the lowest loans we ever saw.

Also, your don’t have to keep all your money & do all your banking at the new bank or credit union. Just open an account. Boom you’re a customer. You can still “bank with Chase”…

I bank with BOA, which is a cartoonish version of Mr. Robot EvilCorp

What i found amazing is how hard it was for me to get a mortage as a small company owner, but my one and only member of staff found it easy as she is in full time employment paid by good self. Amazing!

1 Like

that your health insurance is going to rise about 10% a year and you don’t have any options like a group policy to help lower costs at least non that I know of that are of any good.

Definitely start a company they cap write offs for individuals but not companies so you can have more expenses.

2 Likes

Absolutely! Personal baking makes all the difference!! Well said.

1 Like

great british baking show GIF by PBS

1 Like

Let us eat cake . . .

1 Like

Renee is gonna love this joke. It works on so many levels.

Wait Goodbye GIF by Silicon Valley

1 Like