True Detective season one is a constant delight

I couldn’t figure out where to classify this, but I simply wanted the opinion of my colleagues: As I am a grown-up human who does many a driving comps now-a-days, I still love so much watching True Detective season one (which I watched in colllege), and part of that is the fact that I can just watch those car comps all day and take notes. I will say this, the nighttime car comps leave something to be desired, but I’m not gonna leave notes, that’s not my place. But those straight up Rust and Hart driving through the bayou comps in the daylight, I find them beautiful.

1 Like

The McConaissance

1 Like

Yeah, they are pretty good. It is really hard to convincingly do a green screen car comp and it really comes down to how they shoot the plate and the BG. I found this info from the 2nd unit DP about how they shot those BG plates that’s pretty interesting.

https://cml.news/g/cml-post-vfx-aces/message/323

3 Likes

Wow, what a great inside look at it!!! Thanks for sharing Greg.

I gotta say, right when the pandemic hit we were getting ready to work on a sequence of many many driving comps for a tv show. Production got shut down two days before they were going to shoot the background plates, but this was the time when everyone was so naive and hopeful and was like “we’ll just shoot them in a few weeks when we’re back on set.” Well, weeks pass and it gets the point where it’s like, what’re we gonna do? Couldn’t use drivingplates.com because it was a very specific and identifiable location they needed. Soooooo… we had to had to use B-roll from the exterior shots. I have never had to cheat anything so hard, 3d stabilizing, massive perspective shifts, timewarping out nasty motion blur. At the end of the day it looked fine I suppose, but oh god, the pain. And most of the time the plates that production shoots aren’t great anyway, but it was a whole ‘nother level of bad situation. Reading that made me… envious I guess you could say haha

1 Like

Yeah sim travel should not be under estimated. Done well no one will notice but done badly …

So many invisible VFX we should all pat ourselves on the back!!

1 Like