Uprez in flame

What are your best results in uprezing material in flame?
in particular, hd to uhd.
thanks in advance.

1 Like

Never used it before myself, and it’s not in flame, but I’ve heard very good things about the Topaz AI stuff. Video Enhance AI – Video Quality Software

2 Likes

I have a subscription to Video Enhance AI and I love the results. Some results are awe-inspiring in the detail that they dig out. Jumping up one or two levels really works, but going from 576x768 to 4k does not quite do the job. Going from HD to UHD should look very healthy with the software. You can download a demo.

My deep wish is for Autodesk to buy them up and place it into Flame as a node. Maybe one day I’ll wake up and it will be so? Please.

Cheers
Tony

1 Like

Another +1 for Topaz AI. Used it to turn an HD spot into a 4k spot and the results were phenomenal.

Yet another +1 for Topaz AI. I used it to clean up some really gross, interlaced SD footage that needed to be bumped up to HD. It’s pretty astounding.

Topaz AI +1.

Topaz

nuke upscale AI :smiley:

How are people dealing with the lack of ACES support in Topaz AI? Are you converting to Rec709 and sacrificing colour in favour of detail? Or maybe we’re missing something :grimacing:

Have you tried an ACEScct to 12bit ProRes4444?

1 Like

as randy said, convert the clip to log. No color lost that way1. Everybody wins!

1. the footnote here being the default internet dodge of “of the use of an absolute is incorrect and some level of color loss is inevitable in any color transform, but for any reasonable use case it’s fine and will do no more damage than a resize operation, etc and all that.”

4 Likes

I would do it in both ACES cct and in REC709 and have a look at both once brought back in to flame. The log files may well lose some detail that is not lost in REC709, that’s my experience. I guess the models for Topaz are trained on normal video footage, so that is what they are optimised for. Anyway no harm trying both.

2 Likes

Thanks for your thoughts. I don’t actually run the media through Topaz myself, and turns out I had misunderstood what some colleagues had said about it clipping highlights in ACES. In fact apparently we do already run stuff through as ACEScct without issue, except that it seems to add a little noise (even with every parameter switched to zero). Oh well :man_shrugging:

Super scale (I think that’s what it is called) in Resolve works well too. Haven’t tried it on an ACES or RAW source before as I haven’t come across a use case for it. For archival footage though it is mostly worked well.

My low budget approach to upscaling (aka not using Topaz) is to denoise, upscale, then add grain at the new resolution.

1 Like

Same, and sometimes a very slight sharpening before the grain. In most cases it works a treat.

2 Likes