Using known coordinates in Syntheyes

I am tracking a drone shot of downtown Los Angeles using Syntheyes. I want to set a few track points based on their actual GPS-derived locations. I’m fairly new to Syntheyes, does anyone know how to set up points and specify the xyz coordinates of each point and lock them? Thanks in advance!

@Sean1985 any ideas?

1 Like

OK, this short tutorial revealed how to specify tracker coordinates and lock them.

Edit: At first, specifying actual locations of a few of the trackers made the solve unusable. Then I realized I needed to change the solver from “Refine” back to “Automatic”. That helped a lot, but still wasn’t great. So I locked the location of another tracker that was on the ground near the left edge of frame, and wow, it’s really locking up a lot better now. Still not perfect, so I’ll try locking another point or two in a problem area.

1 Like

You could always try reaching out to Dr. Russ. at Boris FX
His genius knows no constraints…

1 Like

sorry, saw this way too late…

yeah, specifying xyz coordinates has its pros and cons… the problem being that it takes away syntheyes’ freedom and so it can totally throw off your solve, as you have seen. If you specify coordinates for multiple points, you have to make sure that they are 100% correct. if you mix up values (say y & x, for example) and input them incorrectly, it will certainly mess up everything, since syntheyes will obey to constraints that may be physically impossible.

As far as i understand it, if you set coordinates or distances and DO NOT activate “constraints” in the solver tab, Syntheyes will take the infos as hints, but not strictly adhere to them. if you DO activate constraints, it will take them as hard facts and any inconsistencies will lead to a failed solve.

hope this helps