UV Unwrapping from CGI Model?

Hi All.
I have a job where it would be life changer to be able to unwrap UV from a tracked 3D object.
I’ll explain more. A 3D model of a human face has been tracked to match a live footage in Nuke, in order to make a bunch of modifications to that human face.
I’ve been provided with the Alembic of the 3D model and would like to be able to unwrap the texture of the face using the UV from the model.
I know I can ask Nuke guys to do that for me but, we have a looooooot of shots to work on and I would like to have the opportunity to do it myself directly in flame. (So I could work on the unwrapped image and re apply it on the model later).

Is there a way to do that in flame (I don’t think Logik is full resources… :slight_smile: ) and if not,

would there be a way to write a matchbox to do so? It should be very possible to reposition very pixel from the 3D model UV at the right place of the unwrapped flat at is destination position based on there rib color values shouldn’t it?

If anyone feels smart enough to do such a matchbox, it would be sooooo great!!!

Thx everyone.

Not possible in Flame. Nuke uses a special rendering mode for such a workflow. Writing a matchbox would also not be an option here - Action renderer update would be needed.

what a sad sad news!!!

This is entirely possible. @cnoellert figured it out and posted a setup. I will find the thread.

1 Like

Send him all the beers. It works great!

1 Like

OMG!!! It is so exactly what I had in mind… Amazing setup. Thank you so much…

Then, I once again think that it might be very possible to write a matchbox to automate that process.

Just asking the question, would it be worthwhile to ask for a feature request for a UV unwrap render in Action?

Major kudos to @cnoellert for sharing his setup. I just think UV unwrapping is such a great technique for a whole lot of scenarios where you create geometry from a point cloud (e.g. cleanup on uneven ground). Would be amazing to be able to quickly select geometry, unwrap it, do the cleanup then project it back onto the geometry the way both Nuke & Fusion can.

Is this a feature request others would be interested in and think it is worth the devs time, or do you think the shared setup suffices?

4 Likes

Yes. I’ve been asking for this since Philippe was driving the bus but never made a FR. Make one and we’ll vote for it!

Hi. Yes that would be a super useful tool… I 've been looking for it a few months back and unfortunately, had to move on with the batch that tricks it for the job I was on.
It works but (no as well as in Nuke) with a lot of limitations (first on is that you have to work in 32bits and Comp node doesn’t…) .
So I haven’t make the request, I apologise for that but I’m ok to do it or vote for it if a request has already been made.

It does now.

You’re right. I think, I made the request and I’ve thanked dev Team 1000 times since. :slight_smile:

There already is a Feature Request for this on Flame Family Feedback. It already has had a LOAD of votes by the looks of it and as it is accepted I don’t think you can up-vote it

FI-00522 - Flame Family (autodesk.com)

@Slabrie @fredwarren is this something that could please be looked at?
There is an excellent use case linked above, and for general 3D camera cleanup and comp work on non-flat surfaces, being able to unwrap a tracked geometry could be a huge help in a lot of scenarios. Nuke & Fusion can both do it.

You should be able to up-vote it. If you can’t it is probably because you have already did it.

We are always monitoring the list of Flame Feedbacks and especially the ones with the most votes but that doesn’t mean we will actively look at it for a release in the short term.

2 Likes

Thanks @fredwarren
44 votes for it is quite a lot so would obviously be a popular feature addition. Nudge nudge,

We can do it in a roundabout way via a CG application of course, but having the flexibility to do it within Flame/Flare would be HUGE and a massive time saver.

Looks like the 8th most requested feature actually…
behind:
1 - Action: Improved 3D tracking
2 - Text: New Text Tool
3 - Batch Paint: Select Multiple Strokes At Once
4 - Workflow: Preserve Metadata From All Channels
5 - Tools: Apply The Grain Back From Denoise
6 - Media Export: Add MP4 support
7 - Codecs: Blackmagic RAW Support

Items 1, 3, 6, and 7 have been implemented.

4 Likes

Exactly! Which makes me very hopeful that #8 isn’t too far away :laughing:

I promise I won’t ask for a geometry or face tracker in Flame… well today at least!!

Seriously though, can use Syntheyes or Keen Tools for Blender for that.

Thx for that. Exciting. By the way I up voted the UV Unwrapping feature… It’s 45 votes now… :slight_smile:

1 Like

I know this isn’t a solution… (and I hate it when somebody says "have you tried this?..) but…

Have you tried… projecting onto the geo and then surrounding geo in 6 static orthographic cameras (each one to a seperate output). Then you can paint on those in batch and then reproject the painted versions back onto the geo in another action from the same camera positions.

Or rather than 6 orthographic cameras - just one very nicely positioned camera (flat onto the surface you need, for example)

Like I said. It’s not a solve, but it’s what I sometimes do.

Failing that, learn a bit of Blender (which is free) and lets you texture paint projected images in situ on the geo and then unwrap as UV which you can then import into Flame.