Basic Things Flame Should Really Have But Does Not

now that a matte blur is referred to “andy dill’s trick” I’d like to make a small list of tools and nodes I use a lot that should be in the shipping software.

1. Matte blur. Just update the damn blur node so that “use matte” works this way. Honestly don’t care if the old way is scrapped, but maybe it should be a drop down. Whatever. This is a basic, common, useful, and necessary tool for flame and it’s ludicrous that you need a ‘secret code’ to make it happen.

2. Additive keyer. Again, I know I can roll my own, but it’s frankly fucked how much of my livelyhood now hinges on a node that Ivar Beer and Joel Osis cooked up. Build it inside the software. It’s like having a car but you either have to build the transmission yourself, or go find one. Just insane.

3. IBK keyer. See #2.

4. Gradient blur. Y_blurs does this great and fast. Crazy that I would have to use a 3d blur and that godawful “slicing” mechanic to even get kind of close to the utility of this.

5. Salient Keyer somewhere outside of Image. Very useful keyer, cartoonishly hard to generate a matte with.

there are now links below for any of these that you may want to upvote.

22 Likes

6 Likes

bill hader laughing GIF by Saturday Night Live

1 Like

I’d like spline based warping that isn’t the bizarre and buggy Distort node. Spline warping is such a great tool to have in the back pocket, but the distort node is absolutely dreadful to work within (or at least I find it to be).

9 Likes
  • A comparisson graph that plots the difference between two tracks on the timeline. (automated offline ref checking), i have build this in nuke, its easy to do, do a diff between track a and B then find the brightest pixel (that would be the max error) or average all pixels to find the average error(probably more usefull) . then plot that error(curve tool) extremely useful on long sequences as a first indication where the conform went sideways.

• A curve tool clone from nuke. Please. its a godtier node.

-A tool that can repo from a offline reference, creates a timeline Action (match to offline reframing), ai based pattern recognicion type stuff.

-A tool that can match timewarps.

• new Paint and text (lol)
3 Likes

The ability not to strip camera metadata from footage. So it can be conformed then exported for cg.

Don’t know if this is in 2022 software…it’s certainly stripping in 2021.

2 Likes

@talosh ’s timewarp.

9 Likes
3 Likes

I wonder if there’s a legal/rights issue which would keep them from doing this.

2 Likes

Aren’t the ML framework libraries open source? Curious too, as that’d be a great addition to have “ML Timewarp” as a proper node.

1 Like

No offense but all of this is second to Multichannel.

2 Likes

Regarding that, Autodesk should just do a framework like the Foundry implemented for 13.1 allowing for loading of PyTorch models directly into the kit with the ability to link your own controls a-La pybox.

1 Like

Foundry just did it brah… well they announced in December alongside the launch of 13.1

2 Likes

thanks brah

1 Like

channel selection in nodes why are we still stuck in rgba

3 Likes

i wish there was a way to force the timeline to always playback the top track, regardless of where you last dragged a clip to.

Just stop moving the damned track focus point!!

oh…and remember my Monitor preferences - i don’t want to have to deselect certain settings everytime i start a new project. Ain’t that the whole point of user preferences?

2 Likes

I use below hotkeys a lot to move to the top track:

Smoke Hotkey = Ctrl + Alt + ↑
Flame Hotkey = Shift + Page Up

2 Likes

thanks…but i dont need a hotkey to move there - i want Flame to have an option to stay there - like every other NLE ever created does by default.

Just because i moved a clip to a lower track i should not have to reset how the entire timeline gets played back, every time a clip is moved.

I miss the ability to hook the source timecode from the media file to the render node so that my comp renders out with the source timecode without entering it manually.

2 Likes

Check out t + click to
Copy metadata from a source clip to a render node. The procedure is to first touch your render node and then T click the clip you want the metadata from and boom. Now your metadata is on your render node.

3 Likes