UVs and differing resolutions

I’m totally blanking. What’s your favorite way of generating UVs in Action for other applications when your BG is one resolution but the resolution of the texture you wish to track is different?

For example, 3840x2160 background of a phone, but the texture you want to track is 1080x1920.

Resize the texture to be pillarboxed 3840x2160? Or is there a more elegant way?

Does it matter much? A UV map just takes the corner-to-corner image of whatever you feed it, and the various levels of red and green tell the software where to put various parts of the flat image.

I think it does matter, actually.

Or, if you force everything to be the same resolution…

@randy In your first example just extend the surface and it’s all there.

1 Like

…that’s to say that you can extend a diffuse (or any map) beyond the extents of the layer raster. That’s how you can effectively undistort/redistort in flame, or overpaint with corner pins etc etc

What flame does when you re-apply the UV pass in flame is a tad weird compared to how, say, a 3d program (or, I would assume, Nuke) would handle things. Flame is funky because it’s applying the UV to a card in 3d space.

The important part is that as you are placing the client graphic that you either leave it native res, or when resizing use the FILL setting (this will make your graphic look very fat until you place it). In both cases the action UV output will be correct. If you use the Letterbox/Pillarbox setting that will require the person on the receiving end to know this. Depending on what software they’re using or frankly how tired they are, errors could occur.

This is a long way of saying I was right all along. Just have flame output the UVs from action and don’t think about the client graphic res at all.

1 Like

Ooohhh so THATS what that X and Y under Extrapolation mean when you have Perspective surface enabled.

1 Like

Thanks @cnoellert. I totally never put that together. Thanks.

1 Like

It’s a great utility aspect of the layer system in action. All maps attached to an image can be resolution independent of both the destination layer as well as of each other. So think in a scenario where you stabilize into an oversized raster, paint and then go to comp back on. You add the original sized stabbed plate (before the resize) and pin it, then add another layer in action that’s the overpainted version, add it to the pinned layer as a diffuse and extend. Keeps things very simple.

1 Like

It works for all surfaces including bicubic. Handy to know. Our very own bounding box. But it won’t go further than the matte.

1 Like