Very long timeline

Hi,

I recently made some support videos (about 2 hours of content) for a live stream conference which went over 2 days.
They have now come back with a recording of the whole event which runs 7 hours.
I have to make a few changes to the content and insert the changes into the master 7 hour video. Easy!

So, I usually setup my flame projects as HD 25fps and AppleProres422hq

The 7 hour h.264 mp4 that they gave has a bit rate of 7.22 Mbit/s.

When the time comes to export this 7 hour timeline I think I will run out of space on my framestore of 1TB. so, should I change the project rez for the render to Prores proxy so that when Flame renders it will consume less space?

When flame renders from the export menu does it stash the rendered file away in some temp folder or does it render and export at the same time. Maybe the latter when you FG export.

Thoughts?

If you do a foreground export, the timeline doesnā€™t need to be rendered, it will render on-the-fly and not use any framestore space.

3 Likes

Soft import, do your thing, donā€™t render, export in foreground, no framestore space needed.

3 Likes

Yeah. Randy has it right. Flame should never manage that much media. Soft import FTW.

Thanks guys!

OK Iā€™m about to export this 7 hour monstrosity but I donā€™t want to render out the master at Prores422hq as it will take up about 450gigs of space.
What preset should I use that would match the Media encoder youtube hd preset? (Needs to be mp4)

I donā€™t have any experience with the flame h264 settings. What I usually do in these cases is export prores LT or even Prores Proxy when both have a higher bit rate than the h264. The LT should get you close to half the size of HQ.

I realize that would still require a ME transcode.

I always had problems with the buildin presets not matching my expectations in quality or filesize.
If you want to get technical - there is a new feature in 2022, which lets you run ffmpeg directly for exports:

2 Likes

Making QuickTime with h264 at 8mb/s and audio aac at 192kb should more than do it. However it is a QuickTime and Microsoft donā€™t tend to embed this. Also itā€™s a QuickTime and may have gamma issues across platforms.

If you can deliver pro res and get client/YouTube to do it, might be easier.

FFMpeg looks interesting. Iā€™ll check it out. Thanks

Howā€™d you go @johnag ?

!! I didnā€™t see this. I wonder if I can export h265 directly from Flame then??

@claussteinmassl So what do I do with the FFmpeg file that I downloaded. I thought it was going to be an app. It has a terminal icon on it. Did I download the wrong file from here

Sorry Iā€™m not very unix savvy

1 Like

Youā€™ve downloaded the correct file, but itā€™s a command line tool. So no fancy coloured buttons here. :slight_smile:
You can find the documentation (which can be really overwhelming) here:
https://ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg.html

A while ago @john-geehreng was so nice to share his settings with me:

Iā€™m not on 2022 yet, therefore I donā€™t know how what the implementation lookā€™s like, but I would assume, that you get a list of the current selection, specify the location of the ffmpeg executable and can then pass items from the list directly onto it. But thatā€™s just a guess, as I havenā€™t seen it yet. Maybe someone can send me the example file and I can have a look at it.

OK Iā€™m nearly where I want to be.

I put the ffmpeg file into usr/local/bin. Then I moved the ADSK example script located at
/opt/Autodesk/flame_2022/python_examples/export_selection.py

into the shared python folder

/opt/Autodesk/shared/python/

rescanned the scripts in Flame and I now have these options in media hub contextual menu.

Now to get the settings I want in the exported file I guess I have to modify the example script and change the settings to whatever I want.

So does this mean I can only have 1 setting in this script. I guess itā€™s just a matter of making multiple scripts with the settings you want or have multiple settings in the one script.

I donā€™t have the knowledge yet to do that. I guess I could ask my recently graduated son who is now a software engineer to look into it for me.

Yes, I would take the example script and start from there. As I said I donā€™t have access to that file (/opt/Autodesk/flame_2022/python_examples/export_selection.py) at the moment since we havenā€™t updated yet. If you send it to me, I can help to set it up with different settings. :slight_smile:

You donā€™t need to separate it in several scripts. This can all be in one script. You could either create different menu entries for different settings or bring up a little ui, which presets different settings as a dropdown menu for example.

Hopefully not threadhijacking but I had some success editing the example python script to export H265 directly from Flame! This is great as Iā€™ve been experimenting with finishing 7680x7680 VR content in Flame, but having to export it to an intermediary before transcoding to H265 was such a painā€¦

For those wanting to do something similar, you only have to edit a couple of lines.
I changed the width and height to clip.width and clip.height respectively, so that the output res would match the input clip.

I then added the relevant ffmpeg codec parameter to the ā€˜output_vcodecā€™ line (for me, output_vcodec = ā€œ-pix_fmt yuv420p -vcodec libx265ā€). I had to add the pix_fmt option otherwise the colours were wack. I also set output_vcodec_is_rgb to Falseā€¦not sure if that was necessaryā€¦but its working

anyone have a link to prebuilt binary of ffpmeg with nvenc support??

1 Like