What does Nuke have that Flame does not?

Just out of curiosity, why do you find Nuke Inpaint to be so much superior to Flame Infill Blur? I haven’t done a comparison but I never found one to be better than the other.

1 Like

Help me out here @greg

Is Infill Blur a matchbox? A new addition. I am still carrying around Flame 2020.
I am about to update and I am going to get one hell of a shock with all of the new additions :scream:

1 Like

@PlaceYourBetts Yeah, it’s an autodesk matchbox. To me, it just feels like a slightly improved interpolate pixel spread. Still the same temporal problems of interpolate, not very many controls. I’ll admit I’ll try both and see what gets better results, but it infill blur isn’t a life changer for me.

2 Likes

L_Spotremover as gizmo in nuke still is the best of all. Infilll blur in flame def comes short after.
Technicaly Infill blur is much better, but the spot remover doesn’t have these huge problems you get when using blured mattes

2 Likes

From what I see, InfillBlur mostly uses a solid fill color that is auto-sampled which you can re-grain with a synthetic grain. InPaint does texture sampling in addition to blur. It can in some circumstances handle an occlusion by stretching the two boundaries along with controls. You can also pass InPaint an external texture to use for filling which you could sample from a nearby region.

That makes it a lot more usable depending on your needs. If you just use it to remove a small round blemish they’re probably similar in results. In my recent use case I was removing a long strand of wet hair (several inches) on the back of a person. I’ll try to post an example later today.

Not familiar with L_spotremover, but will check it out.

4 Likes

Hey @greg have you tried the Inpaint tool in Silhouette? I mentioned it in another post recently and have found that it has done a really good job when I’ve used it as an OFX in batch.

2 Likes

One thing that I wish we had is an equivalent of Nuke’s “ripple” button when editing a gmask. You move a point in one keyframe and it makes the same adjustment on all the other keyframes.
I do envy that one

2 Likes

(updated: solved by @BrittCiampa, does exist)

Most apps have this. Nuke has the ripple button. Mocha Pro and Silhouette have the Ueber button, even Resolve has it, though it’s misnamed as clip vs. frame there, but does the same thing.

I might be misinterpreting what ripple does in Nuke, but have you played with the “edit tracking keyframes” under vertices in the gmask tracer? That allows you to make adjustments to the spline that carry throughout.

7 Likes

Very cool. It is indeed the same thing… Once you activate it, spline turns blue, and change propagates throughout keyframes. Happy day!

2 Likes

that’s very interesting indeed!

1 Like

I always find it interesting how often things get pointed out about what you can do in Flame that a lot of us aren’t aware of. I knew of what Brit just mentioned but there often times where I am not aware.

2 Likes

While I think this is true for most apps of this complexity, part of Flame’s contributing factor is 30 years of legacy. A lot of things don’t use the same names or UI designs. I actually spent several hours a few days ago trying to find this feature. I looked in the Flame learning channel, did Google searches, and looked at the manual. But somehow didn’t come across this solution, and the name and location is not intuitive. I might have expected it to show up in the option menu where you can edit outputs and so on.

In the end it just needs to be handed down through forums like this from other users. Which is why Logik is invaluable.

1 Like

Here’s that exact situation and I questioned every aspect of reality after someone showed it to me. In the basic tab of a render node, where it says “Render Range” that is not a tab describing what the render range is below it… it’s a BUTTON! That you can PRESS! And it renders ONLY that render node in your batch. Whenever I pre-render anything now, I immediately disable the render node and press that button. Couldn’t believe it. A BUTTON! This entire time…

3 Likes

Yep. There are some UI design norms that have evolved in the last 20+ years. In this screenshot ‘From’ and ‘To’ are labels, but ‘Render Range’ is an action button. They don’t look different from each other. Same with the context in which elements appear, and hierarchies that mimic workflow, not where the happens to be space for another button without having to redesign the whole tab.

Flame is not alone. Mistika is choke-full of these oddities. Like buttons you swipe left/right for your printer lights??? So it’s really a slider, but you wouldn’t know that from looking at it.

Once you know the app, this is of course no problem. But it’s a significant friction point in the learning curve for people adopting the app, whcih I know we’ve batted around quite a bit.

One of the key UI design principles that has evolved is called “Don’t make me think” - meaning it needs to be obvious on the surface. There’s a whole book written with that title.

The other UI paradigm is that not every user works the same way. When you design an e-commerce website you need to cater to half the users that like to search for everything, and the other half that prefers to browser category hierarchies. A successful UI design works for the largest number of diverse users, and doesn’t force them to conform into just one way.

Of course for apps of the complexity of Flame, Nuke this is easier said than done, because of the sheer number of workflows and features. If you think these are crazy, open the menu trees of Cinema4D. That’s the equivalent of the Interstate highway system with every exit marked.

2 Likes

This is very interesting but I have to admit I reserve the advanced gradient for special situations where a simple mask won’t do so I never had to dig too deep. I’ll check out the Trans Keys, thanks!

Hey, no, I haven’t. I’ll have to try that.

1 Like

Did anyone say an AI aging and de-aging tool?

1 Like

Blockquote

NUKE PLUGIN
To make FRAN really practical, we created a Nuke Plugin which allows artists to control the input parameters while editing a video and
get feedback at interactive framerates. Please see our supplemental
video for a screen recording of the plugin.

Blockquote

this is a quote from the suplemental pdf on the site - do you know if this plugin is available?

I only saw it in the article…I don’t see it on their website yet… but probably soon.