What makes a good showreel?

I see what you’re saying. Though for me it’s difficult since I’m not generally a hired hand and given a shot to nurse.

I do a lot of different things - not just Flame - so my reel’s gotta reflect that. But it’s still gotta be interesting, flashy and suitably short. Quite a challenge. I put zero cleanup in because I don’t really wanna be known as a cleanup artist.

Can I show it? I’m gonna show it. Would love some feedback if you’ve got any :slight_smile:

I’ve also got a DOP reel which shows off a bit of editing. Really need to do a director reel, seeing as that’s the direction I’d like to head.

2 Likes

@Unclextacy Tim, your work is outstanding, but the bit where you keep cutting in all your job titles is like nails on a chalkboard to me. It annoyed me at the beginning but I got over it when the work started, but then it came back again and aaaaaaarghjnalksdjnal. It’s certainly memorable if that’s what you’re going for. If I screened your reel in the middle of 20 others, I’d remember it for sure. I think you’re taking a risk, but you know what you’re doing, so I hope it works out for you!

1 Like

Thanks for posting. I like your reel. I get what you are up to, wanting to show all of your capabilities. I am all about the SHOW in showreels, so, I’m inclined to celebrate the courage it takes to do all of that and well. It is a bit much, but, I get it. I understand your story, how you position yourself. And isn’t that the point of a showreel? I’ve never hired anybody but JUST a Flame artist. I’ve never needed an editor/shooter/flame/director, so, take all of this with a grain of salt. If you are attracting the right kind of work, then your showreel is working. As you self proclaimed, if you’d rather be doing something else, then boom you answered your own question.

For your DOP reel, the only thing that stood out was your intro/title card music selection. That seemed to set the tone for something really rocking and then it took me a bit to settle in with the slower tempo piece. It made me miss a bit of your work up front as I was wondering if I was about to get clobbered. For a DOP reel, who cares. But if there’s some editorial hopes and dreams in there, that could be a place to perhaps finesse.

For anyone wondering, of course its fine to share your reel. It’s admittedly a tough place to do so. But hopefully that changes as time goes on and we don’t eat ourselves.

1 Like

I know this might offend a few folks, but I ALWAYS mute the audio for a Flame reel. Audio is so much more powerful than any visual that I feel like it can completely change the way I see the work. I used to find myself judging the taste of the artist by their choice of music, or their edit chops by where they cut their visuals and how they cut to the music. I now feel it’s just unfair to the person who’s work I’m evaluating. If they’re sending a Flame reel or a nuke reel or even a cg reel, then to me, they’re asking to showcase their visuals and the audio is a massive distraction. And I’m already way too easily distracted.

I also know I’m in the minority on this issue and would absolutely encourage any new flame artist to attach music and give it their best shot at cutting - but don’t cut out the best part of the work just to make it fit a beat. And if you can find music that works in counterpoint to the visuals, then that might just help with seeing the nuances in the work. Contrast always highlights the subtle.

I guess that’s just a little bit contradictory, but my point is that one should favor the visuals for a visual reel. And know there are folks out there who just won’t care what song you choose.

3 Likes

Tim, I have no dog in this fight because i haven’t made a reel in 20 years…nor would i want anyone critiquing mine if i did…but since you threw them out there.

My comment is about the DP reel…also being a shooter/DP myself …and please don’t take this the wrong way (but you might) I’m just trying to give you some context as one who has to hire DP/shooters from time to time.

The bad news…unfortunately i’ve seen that same real about 1000 times. What i mean by that is it looks to be a B Roll reel with very little if any paid work…i could be wrong, but i don’t think i am. My sense is you took a camera, gimble and drone out and shot some footage and put a reel together. Which is cool.

The good news…you have a good eye and there are some nice shots in there and i thought you cut it well.

However, when I look to hire a DP/shooter i’m looking for paid work, tells me who this person has worked with, worked for, and that they can more than likely deal with clients on location. I’m also looking for variety…interiors, exteriors, various lighting environments, hell…even an interview reel can tell me a lot…at least as far as lighting.

So again, not trying to be “that guy” so take it fwiw!!

Oh yes that time when you think about awesome year of work you did and after 20 sec in to the Reel you ask “Now what” :slight_smile:

Thanks hBomb. Yeah, it’s GOTTA be different to other reels. I WANT them to know that I’m not just an editor or not just a Flame artist. Like, front and centre.

Thanks Randy! :slight_smile:

Haha, you’re actually right. I don’t have a lot of paid material in there. (actually zero) But not by choice. :frowning:
I think I want clients that will see value in an easy-going, multi-skilled editor and Flame artist that can actually shoot and direct and be involved in pre-prod so that these benefits will be realised in the budget.

For instance, I can cut (I’ve been editing for 30 years) meaning we’ll only shoot what we need (therefore minimising production costs) and they get a Director who also is a built-in vfx sup.

I’m actually about to start getting quite a bit of shooting and directing work finally so this will be rectified pretty soon. :slight_smile:

1 Like

…which brings me to my next problem. Do any of you direct?

I’ve had a breakthrough with one very busy client who has just booked me for my first ever official directing-only gig. I don’t even have to shoot, there’ll be a producer to facilitate and a full crew - all I have to do is think about the creative. SO LIBERATING! :heart_eyes:

The question is does anyone know what a tvc director earns? I don’t suspect I’ll be charging any more than my normal Flame rate in this instance because why would they pay any more just because I’m wearing a different hat - but the whole point of why this work will be so good is that I’ll finally be able to build a reel with actual directing work, meaning finally I’ll be able to start putting myself out there as a commercial director and start finally planning my eventual, potential step-away from the tools.

Any ideas you can give me about director rates - (not talking about superbowl ad level just yet) would be amazing. TVC directing rate chat seems way more cowboy than traditional Flame artist/editor freelance rate chat.

Cheers friends :slight_smile:

Try tripling your rate and see if you get away with it. Most directors I’ve worked with charge 5x my day rate.

3 Likes

Stop. This is not the way to think about this. You are filling a role on a call sheet. The top name. That’s a big deal. You are providing a creative service that is far more valuable than what others are doing on set. If you don’t know what to charge then warm up your network right now. Call anyone you know of in your local network that has hired directors and find out immediately. Charging a flame rate for a director? Not okay.

4 Likes

That said, Tim is obvs not Noam Murro (yet!), so while yeah he should be getting substantially more than his Flame rate, asking for $25K/day might lose him the gig.

2 Likes

Well said.

Understood. Appreciate your advice Randy, thanks. :slight_smile:

It’s a funny juxtaposition because I got another booking request today from a network asking for significantly less (than my normal Flame rate) for an Avid edit because I’m only cutting.

Under most circumstances I’d just charge my Flame rate (basically the rate for me and all of my skills) and be done with it. Most of my clients are more than fine with this. :man_shrugging: