2 Sentence Tips (AKA How to enter this week's Logik Live Drawing for Free Swag)

Yeah, they also send their spots through what’s called the “Harding Test.” It’s basically an extra step for people with epilepsy. We had to do a lot of extra tweaking and cleanup with time warps because of this.

1 Like

Now that i support! But not making adding 25-40% data cuz some knob cant deal with a black bit in between a spot every now and then!

1 Like

Yeah, the whole 10 second freeze frame is a bit ridiculous, especially if it’s only a :15. Your slate and freeze frame are longer than the actual spot.

2 Likes

nice Sinan!!!

When you want to combine two mattes, utilizing the “add” operation in a comp node will work, but it is not as mathematically correct as the “screen” operation.

When you want to subtract two mattes, utilizing the “subtract” operation in a comp node will work, but it is not as mathematically correct as adding a negative node to one of the mattes before the comp and then setting the comp to “multiply”.

5 Likes

Haha! Damnit. I realized my tip was in a new thread and not replied in this one… One more for following the rules’ sake:

Blanking / Timeline / Stabilization Black Edge QC: Drop a 2D Transform on what you want to check, scale image down, set to “Repeat Last”. Scrub. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

To add onto this: If you use the two blue/matte inputs instead of the red/green front/back ones you can get all the variations of combining mattes that you want. They’re not called “screen” and “multiply” but they do the same thing, but will also do inverted combinations. I can never remember which does which, but it’s very nice.

4 Likes

Very cool! I never knew that and never used the matte blending modes in a comp node before. Did some testing:

1 Over 2 (Over) = Screen
1 Minus 2 (Cutout) or 2 Minus 1 (Outside) = Negative Multiply

The different names for each type sure do make it descriptive.

I think I like this method better because it doesn’t involve adding that negative node. Thanks for the tip within a tip! Tipception.

3 Likes

Before this was shown to me I had submitted a feature request along the lines of, “guys, I would really like an ‘invert A, then multiply over B’ option in logic ops.”

Then Aaron Nietz showed me the matte combine.

1 Like

if your cursor suddenly stops reacting to your wacom pen, quickest way to nudge it back to life is to spin the pen around and bring the eraser end close to the tablet.

1 Like

One of my favorites! Got me out of a really tight spot when I had to pick up another artist work and add heads. Thanks again!

2 Likes

Extract reflections for screen comps. Instead of a luma key, use separate node and use the red channel (or whichever has the most contrast) for reflection pass.

Bonus tip - when typing on your iPhone - hold down the space bar (for more than a second) and it turns into a mouse for your cursor. Move cursor to desire location.

7 Likes

Oh man. That spacebar iPhone tip was awesome. I needed that information years ago!!!

2 Likes

When doing extended bicubic, you can enable “action lock selection toggle” with “alt space L” so you don’t lose the selection if you miss your click.

3 Likes

I’d just like to clarify (and it’s a good tip: I do it often) that action matte inputs default to the blue channel only. You can change it to Red or Green, but it’s an overall change. It isn’t adjustable at the individual input level. If you want to get Red or Green on individual inputs, you need to put it through a separation node before the matte input. What is more important, though, is that if you actually want a matte based on the overall luminance of the image, you need to pipe it through a mono node before the matte input, or turn on the MK in action and put a mono node between the Key In and the matte input of the MK result. You can also put the separation node in the MK as well to select Red or Green luminance.

2 Likes