23.98 to 25

Hi All,

I have an upcoming beauty job that was shot at 23.98 but needs to ship at 25.
It’s been a couple of years since i’ve had to do this so i’m a little fuzzy on the proper
workflow.
Should I conform and do cleanup in 23.98 and then convert to 25? Or conform and
convert to 25 and then do cleanup. Or conform at 23.98 in a 25 project?
Or none of the above? Thanks in advance!

1 Like

But the way we do it is work on a 30s 750 frame edit then cut it down to 720frame with shots slipped for spot fx. Looks better.

Unless it’s a one shot wonder.

2 Likes

Yeah cutting frames or adding frames when moving back and forth between 23.976 and 25 is almost always the way to go. Field-based or frame based timewarps to do the conversion almost always end up with some nasty phone calls a week after delivery when someone that doesn’t know their fields from their frames bounces your spot and your client blames you.

2 Likes

Thanks guys!

1 Like

I would timewarp the reference to 750 frames, assemble the footage at 23.98 and drop it onto the 25 ref and slip the cuts on the conform to match the ref. Once all was done, checked and properly timed, I would proceed with cleanup, always working at the native 23.98 of the footage and replacing into the conformed master.

1 Like

Hey Tim I probably should have been clearer with my question. There is no 25 ref. They shot
and did offline in 23.98. They just want to ship in 25. I was going use your method but in reverse. Conform and do cleanup in 23.98 then timewarp the 23.98 ref to 25 and over cut onto that. Does that workflow make sense?

I understand. Take your 720 frame ref and tw it to 750, then drop your 2398 conform on top and slip the cuts to match the timewarped reference. Your way makes sense, but I prefer to have the questionable stuff worked out ahead of time. Once you are comfortable with the cut at the rate that you are shipping at, then you can do your cleanup and replace. I don’t know what the extent or difficulty is of the cleanup, but I think it’s important to know exactly which frames will or won’t be used. With your way, you will need to do more frames than are visible in your conform. Granted, it’s just one or two, but sometimes they can make a big difference.

1 Like

Got it! Thank you!