32 bits nodes?

Hi All.
It’s probably been discussed before. Sorry for that.

How is that possible that a lot of native Flame nodes don’t work in 32bits???
I mean it’s impossible to maintain a 32 bits flow graph for more than a few nodes.
Action handles it very nicely but how is it that Comp node doesn’t?
I keep using Actions nodes to make basic operations like subtract or so just because Comp can’t do it (working with ST maps).

Actually, I also use Crock_Logicop that keeps thing in 32 bits but I really don’t understand how native nodes don’t all support 32bits.

Reminds me years back when it was the exact same situation with 16 bits float.

Arghhhhhh!!!

I currently work with a 2023.3 flame on a linux box.

4 Likes

There’s only one node that fully supports 32 bits. And that’s the colored source node.

4 Likes

Most of the reason is that 32 bits are overkill for all but a select few specific data passes (UV maps and CryptoMattes) and those data passes should not be filtered.

For images it is functionally impossible to cause a 16 bit image to band up.

Like you can do it, but if you’re doing it you are well outside reasonable behavior.

1 Like

Also, what does subtracting UV maps do? Sounds cool.

Mainly 2 things. 1st is the UV Unwrap trick shown here that is really useful in my current project.
2nd thing is not a subtract but I use a UV map to apply a distort to an image and easily keyframe power of the distort by just blending the distorted UV and the untouched UV.

As 32 bits is useful for data passes, I don’t understand why Comp node degrades to 16 bits…

2 Likes

Fair point. It is kind of strange when the “newer” nodes (circa 2013) don’t have the higher functionality.

You could use Actions, but there are like two “no I really mean it!” Safety switches to get them to render 32 bit. I believe one is in the batch prefs, the other in Action itself.

Yep, there are 2 and they are exactly where you said.
I do that with action but it’s (as 32 bits for most cases) a bit overkill to just add or subtract 2 layers.

I mean, I understand that 32 bits are way to much for 90% of the cases but event if all nodes should by default work in 16 bits, we should have the ability to choose to stay in 32bits for certains tasks. We need a switch to allow that, especially for everyday use nodes like Comp!!!

2 Likes

Yeah. Makes sense.

1 Like

@philobedo Please submit a request for 32-bit support in the Comp node over at flamefeedback.autodesk.com

@philobedo I’ve made the feature request for this here.

Everyone else feel free to upvote at your leisure.

2 Likes

Upvoted.

Thx Fred, I’ll go upvote Andy’s right now… :slight_smile:

Thank you Andy for that, I’ll go and add my vote.

Done.

Just added a comment to say that Comp node is the first one to update but all the nodes should be.

For example, if I want to pixelspread or blur a UV pass for any reason, It would be able to be able to do so, keeping it 32 bits…