Anybody know what this is?

never come across this until now, and of course I’m trying to make slates and deliver a pile of stuff

1 Like

It’s an error message telling you to turn off Protect from Editing on Flame Preferences. Looks like something from a Python Script.

1 Like

Sorry, that sounded smart assy. I am a smart ass, but that was not intended to be smart assy. I think its that simple.

2 Likes

In Preferences/General under Media Panel, turn off ‘Protect from Editing’ button. Sometimes gets reset on new user install.
Had this on using SlateMaker on new version of Flame.

1 Like

Thanks Andy.

1 Like

Same error message even after resetting prefs.

it certainly did

1 Like

What version of Flame and what Python Script is that?

Damn. Then I’d probably go delete SlateMaker, new user, reinstall slatemaker and keep your fingers crossed…!
Good Luck, sorry that didn’t solve it.

Flame is 2021.2.1

Ah. Wasn’t Python 3 introduced in Flame 2021? So, it is likely that scripts designed for versions earlier than Flame may not work in Flame 2021 and later.

Sorry about that. That wasn’t a great response.

As long as I have used flame I’ve always wondered why this setting exists, and why it’s turned on by default when you make a new user. Like, in what world would you NOT want to edit your sequences? It must have a reason for being, can anyone explain?

My understanding is that it only affects sequences that you’ve saved in your library (as opposed to the desktop). Personally I like knowing that whatever the previous version I’ve saved is actually saved and not being affected by the new stuff I’m doing. That way I can easily go back to older versions that I’ve neatly organized for myself. You could turn it off… but that’s like eating cereal out of your toilet bowl. You have other bowls… why use that one?

I like it because it forces me to load sequences onto the desktop to alter them. This way I don’t end up elbowing edits or swapping in the wrong shots, or more specifically, when I do those things I have a backup in the library.

I shudder at the damage I could do were the library not Protected From Editing.

2 Likes

It’s the preference that allows you switch from “Yoon-Mode” to “Noellert-Mode.”

Welcome to the dark side.

1 Like

Not me. I keep it off. There’s no way I want to spend the time bringing a bunch of imported sources up to the desk top just to wipe off the 40 tracks of audio that the AE artist always renders, then put it back into the library and delete the old ones etc. etc. etc.

2 Likes

I also leave it off as I can steal timeline effects from other sequences in the library whereas you can’t get to them if protect is on.

1 Like

Protect From Editing was introduced in Flame 20th Anniversary when we basically merged the Flame and Smoke workflows together. The two applications didn’t have the same behaviour in the pre-anniversary versions so that preference was put there to allow you to decide which way you prefer to work in the unified workflow.

1 Like

So does this mean I’m on the dark side now? I have been feeling funny lately. :smile:

(I totally saw this randomly after long absence from the forums… haha)