Cleaning up Motion Vectors?

Is there anyway to clean up motion vectors…perhaps using Paint?

I have a Motion Vector map that has a weird bit of motion right in the middle of the shot that doesnt seem related to anything within the shot, and its buggering up the Projection i am using it with.

I tried to patch that little bit up using a paint node and the cached map, but when i bring this into action its completely screwed up as an MV Map.

1 Like

How about masking out that part with a gmask before caching?

1 Like

When you go to paint you might be downconverting to 16 bit? Maybe mask out the dodgy section and blur it (32 bit matchbox blur) or fill in with a bit of the earlier cached mv pass? But keep an eye on the adaptive icons for bit deprh.

2 Likes

Have you denoised first?

2 Likes

In addition to Randy’s comment, try also converting footage to rec709 or log before caching motion vectors.

1 Like

Thanks for the great suggestions.
After looking again, the source had a horrible particle effect added that was causing the issue. I reckon the gmask idea will be perfect for this.

And very surprisingly the vendors have come through with the rushes, so i can rebuild the entire edit without any of the myriad post-applied nightmare!

1 Like

Recently I cut out some bs frames that were messing up the vectors and made new in betweens with @talosh ’s Machine Learning Fluid Morph, then Motion Vectored that.

Or fill it with black. That works too.

3 Likes

Oh…didn’t think a black hole would work…but i suppose theres nowt in there moving so why not!

Yup. Typically static masks only. Animated masks, sometimes for me, cause edge problems.