Contributions to Industry Jargon Contest

Time to learn me some audio stuff. (Nobody tell the clients)

1 Like

Dirty Diaper = when someone hands over a shit project they havenā€™t been looking after.

2 Likes

Haha this could be good or bad. Iā€™m trying to get permission to load it on the Flame Iā€™m working on.

1 Like

Land mine = when someone hides something in a timeline or batch comp that is hard for another artist to catch.

Somewhere. :wink:

4 Likes

This. Is. Legendary.

1 Like

@Quinn exactly. There are many examples. Picking up multiple hard committed layers in a deep timeline always gets me.

1 Like

A ā€œShoveā€

The opposite of a ā€œliftā€
Where you do a spot and the ā€œcutdownsā€ include extra handles and/or shots.

11 Likes

Andy said ā€œbunch of kidsā€. You should get the twins startedā€¦

1 Like

I love this!

Ha! My boys were too shy. My 8 year old daughter? Sheā€™d be a great art director.

6 Likes

She could work for 72 and Sunny and fit right in!

You need to get her an agent ASAP!

1 Like

Kids are amazing. And brutal.

Me, to my 12 year old sonā€¦
ā€œHey Sam, Iā€™m trying to make these rocks look wet. Do you think these look wet?ā€

Samā€¦
ā€œNo. I donā€™t see any water.ā€

Savages.

3 Likes

Haha teens can be a-holes but we love them anyways.

Oh reminds me of another term I use:

Innocent Eye Test

I will grab someone random, preferably someone with no experience in our field, and show them a shot as a check for if it looks good or if the fix is invisible.

https://www.metmuseum.org/art/collection/search/484972

4 Likes

ā€œOptical encryptionā€ : a very messy batch setup.

ā€œIā€™m working on the shot youā€™re having me pick up, but there is a lot of optical encryption to get throughā€

Also useful for those ā€œsend us the setupsā€ clients.

7 Likes

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Eric, that is GENIUS!!

1 Like

I know the holiday party already happened, but I just came off set today and came up with this one:

eggo (noun)

1. A person in a decision-making position who constantly waffles between options.
  2. One with bad taste and weak opinions.

e.g. ā€œIā€™d love to move on to the next shot, but that stack of eggos over in virtual video villiage keeps changing their minds on which way the line should be read."

1 Like

and of courseā€¦in Europe theyā€™d be called Belgiansā€¦

1 Like

And a nuclear bad one could be a Van Damme.

Obviously used in verb form as well.

2 Likes

I totally dropped the ball on this for the holiday party. (I warned people: I have a 30 second attention span.) Letā€™s keep them coming and weā€™ll figure it out later.

2 Likes