Contributions to Industry Jargon Contest

DoubleTap
/duhb-uhl tap/
noun: Double Tap ;

1. When you have been splitting the difference for over 2 hours, and half of the room like the current verison. The act of quickly flipping between context views of the original and the final or the schematic and the final as if you are presenting “2” versions.
    warning Repeat as needed, but only use once per project. Use wisely.

e.g. “Let me show you where we were, and our current. Before (doubletap) and after.”

Etymology

305 E46TH - 16 W22nd(v.) Midtown to Flatiron, English and some French, variant of early online action committed upon large video mixing consoles and tablets, probably imitative; derivative of the sound. Some records point to earlier occurrences in the 1400 block of North Cahuenga, but there are no records from that period.

3 Likes

@andymilkis I’m a stickler for giving credit when I can. If this phrase does actually become a thing I’d love for the author(s) to be known, or at least for people to hear the origin story. So the story goes…

“at the end of the show the last shot finaled is usually the shot was the hardest or most hack job of a shot because of either technical or creative challenges. The pineapple was referenced originally as a shot that was so painful to final it was like giving birth to a pineapple. This is something started by Mark Stetson and Karen Goulekas. Shortly after that Jeff Olm said it was like pooping out a pineapple. So both are about painful memories that we would then try to erase as quickly as possible by buying pineapples for the group that suffered the most, hollowing out the pineapple and filling it with lots of rum. And then those said people would walk around all day and night drinking from the pineapple!”

5 Likes

@digitalbanshee

Holy Sh*t, that’s an awesome story! Above and beyond what I knew about that phrase. I only freelanced at DD for a couple months so didn’t witness drinking out of the pineapple bit. Nice!

2 Likes

I can only imagine the colourful phrasing offered by Karen. And great historical background for the saying.

2 Likes

Colorful. Yup that’s Karen!! :joy:

1 Like

I didn’t make it up, but i’m a fan of “picnic”.

it stands for:
Problem In Chair, Not In Computer.

2 Likes

I always loved the ol’ ID10T error.

idiot

took me a while

1 Like

I’ve been saying this as long as I’ve been using Flame but “Brute Force…”

…meaning initially (circa 1996) anything that required paint but later expanded to mean anything that couldn’t be replicated procedurally…

…as in “well, in worst-case we can just ‘brute force’ it.”

(Said Chris at some point on every shoot)

3 Likes

The flame unit at Sony Imageworks was known as BFC for a while, when I worked there it was called HSC, for High-Speed Compositing, but there were still a few references to Brute Force Compositing littered around.

BFC didn’t feel like a compliment, but who can say…

1 Like

Yeah man, I don’t think ‘Brute Force’ is ever really complimentary, and other non-flame compositors can be so mean some times.

But they’re just jealous :joy:

3 Likes

I like the term brute force because it implies a person did the work. For a while the biggest bee in my bonnet was PR releases detailing what gear, techniques, and tech a company used. The reality is always, “smart people worked very hard and often struggled.”

This is also why I have failed to read a Cinefex article in nearly 20 years. They used to be full of stories of weird production techniques and struggles and now it’s ten thousand words that can be summed up with, “computers did it.” Boring.

3 Likes

Full-heartedly agree. For me ‘brute force’ was what the seasoned compositor using package ‘x’ (which in their mind was perfect) was unwilling to do—which once might have been, conform the spirit dpx’s in Flame, run it through Cinespeed, paint that result in Flame, roto in Shake, comp and paint, paint, paint in Flame, print it out on 5242, scan a bleachbypassed print back and Cineon degrain before downreszzing to pal and throwing out a transmission master and 10 vhs at once.

Like literally push a shot through whatever hoops were needed to get it finaled. Kids today just do it for the gram.

1 Like

I literally just had a producer say “can’t you just…” on a particularly vexing shot, so maybe that’s my latest entry: CYJ.

5 Likes

I usually get the guilt trip “Well if it’s too hard then maybe we get someone else to look at it”

2 Likes

And the other one OE.

Operator Error

I like that! I do enjoy the long version too. There are times when helping someone when I express my joy to find out that the problem doesn’t exist between the monitor and the back of the chair.

I think 85% of all cutdowns have longer shots, Murphy’s law

8 posts were merged into an existing topic: Artists vs. operators