Did you go to school for this?

I completed a 4 year communications program but it was focused more on broadcast production.

Spent 3 years after college working at a CBS station in their production department making graphics and training to be a director…hated it, but they had a solid in house production dept and I finally weaseled my way in by editing promos for free after midnight.

Moved on to a new job which thankfully bought their first NLE soon after, Discreet Edit. Slowly and painfully learned how to do a few things in Paint and Effect and finally Combustion. Used to look forward to NAB every year where I would spend a day being inspired by the latest Flame/Inferno wizardry. Been working on Smoke and now Flame since the Mac versions appeared.

Interesting to read the thoughts on a fine arts background…I definitely with I had better understanding/appreciation of those core concepts today.

1 Like

7 years of fine arts training. Drawing, Painting and Sculpture. Two years before graduation saw Microsoft Paint for the first time… got my mind blown away and said “This is it!”.

No computer graphics programs in Havana at the time, so went to anywhere I could find a computer and thought my self whatever had to do with imaging. After graduation went to work for the Cuban Ministry of Culture Multimedia Dept and kept teaching my self 2d/3d graphics and NLEs. Became a freelance 6 years later… Music videos, promos, personal.

Fell in love with this Canadian girl and followed her to Vancouver. Realized what Vancouver was in the post industry and started sending reels and resumes. After working on a greek restaurant for two months Brian Moylan calls me to come to work at Rainmaker as a Fusion Compositor. Few Inferno suites there. Kept teaching my self now looking at what more experienced artists did.

Yadda yadda yadda… still in Vancouver… same girl.

Internet, coworkers and communities like this are still my main learning resources.

7 Likes

… same girl. Have the same issue. Lovely (seriously).

1 Like

Wait y’all married the same girl? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Different versions of her… I hope.

No training in fine arts or drawing. I went to University to do Sound and Video Technology, I wanted to mix sound for live concerts.

At university we used all sorts of kit and I found I quite liked the whole video thing.

The first job I managed to get was in the machine room of a post house as a tape op, and that was that. We had Avids, a Pogle, Flame, Editbox and Henry. I started messing about on the Editbox and I just kind of fell in to it. I’m still here.

Everyone I know of my generation that works in post, just kind of fell into it.

1 Like

Wow that’s nice. I work in commercials exclusively, so I always get a soundmix from the soundstudio.
But good to know about flame’s sound tools :slight_smile:

What a great question to pose to the group @randy… I’ve genuinely enjoyed reading everyone’s responses & background stories.

I’ve personally never met a Flame artist who’s gone to school for Flame. Seems we’ve all kindof fell into this… If you were lucky enough to be given the opportunity to learn, apprentice, or tinker around with one of the fabled unicorn machines, you’d be remiss not to accept. Things have come a long way since…

School-wise, did a 4 year BA in Business/Economics w/ a minor in Music (cello performance) & New Media (film dept’s catchall for anything “digital”, photoshop, NLE, and Flash). Found myself spending more time and interest on my minor than my major, screwing around making videos w/ my dormmates & pushing each other to learn new things & make cool shit. (We’re all now in the industry) Then 2 years of post-grad taking night classes at ArtCenter while working for a nonprofit, studying Graphic Design, Animation, & 3D… Ah, class critiques… The veritable thunderdome of youth angst & bullshittery… Honestly though, it was invaluable (and terrifying) having to articulate yourself amongst your critical peers.

The “desktop computerization” of both film/video and music/audio was the coolest thing in the world to me. Photoshop, Premiere/FCP, After Effects, 3D, Pro Tools, Ableton Live, Reason, it was all new and uncharted and accessible. I still remember getting my first capture card and thinking how cool it was that I could digitize hi8 & miniDV, record audio… My stack of Computer Arts, Res, & Stash were pretty deep. When I got to Imaginary Forces as a young Designer/Animator, I was intrigued by the dark suites downstairs where “all the magic happened.” Once an opportunity presented itself to learn Flame, the rest is history. I remember there were some FXPhd lessons on the server as well as trying to pick up as much as I could from my supervisor & flame artists that came and went, and a healthy serving of trial and error… Once learning and understanding “modular” node-based compositing, it also opened up a deep interest in modular synthesis as well. Connecting the dots…

All that being said, I think @kirk hit the nail on the head when he talked about us fundamentally having a customer service job. But I also think it’s more than that, since the “product” and expectation of said product can be infinitely varied and completely subjective. And malleable (sometimes, thankfully). People and communication skills are so incredibly valuable in what we do, and so hard to teach. Anyone can learn the software, but watch a talented flame artist “run the room”, listen to and articulate/support the client’s intentions, facilitate difficult conversations & solve problems w/ directors/producers/artists… And yes, compartmentalize stress & project those confidently calm zen vibes… All those I’ve admired and respect to this day… Unicorns, just like falling upon the opportunity to use a flame back in the day…

I used to have these existential crises in my early 20s about choosing a path & figuring out what it was I wanted to do. Having so many diverse interests, and not one career goal. That uncertainty and doubt was certainly a huge achilles’ heel for me. Later in life, I’ve realized that through following my interests & keeping inspired, humble, and willing to fail at new things, my path revealed itself and eventually chose me. It still is… Certainly something I wish I could’ve told my younger self…

Thankful for this community & braintrust. Let’s keep learning together.

6 Likes

No. Music School in LA. Composition and conducting.

I walked into a rehearsal studio one day and there were plastic piranha hanging from the ceiling by fishing line that were being shot for their namesake movie. In the corner was a dual panel glass silhouette matte painting used for a meadow scene in “The Howling”. Peter Kuran was renting a room at the place when he was working on VFX for “The Empire Strikes Back”. I was fascinated. I was an 18 year old from Iowa, and knew then I was going to be interested in film making. I started using Pro Tools with the first version, After Effects from the CoSa days, Alias Wavefront, and Avid when AVR 7 was something to be excited about. Jumped to Final Cut Pro as soon as it was viable, and then to Smoke as soon as it was available on the Mac. I went to Flame as soon as possible, and still use Maya. With the exception of a few FXPHD courses, I’m self taught and it’s been trial by fire.

3 Likes

I went to Military flight Academy but that didn’t help a bit for this job

6 Likes

Any rocket science @Jon-Jovich_66 ? You might be good at particles :wink:

3 Likes

I won’t touch Flame particles with 10 foot stick but I use 3d software for that :slight_smile:

Right at the start of FXPHD, a very senior flame artist advised me not to bother with FXPHD on account of those than can, do and those that can’t, teach. Sadly I listened to them and missed out for a couple of years. That was a big Achilles. However, I did later sign up and fondly remember flame 204 with John Montgomery with all that particle stuff which seemed like magic at the time. I never really remember all the functions of particles because it’s so esoteric in flame. So that’s another Achilles. Besides, there’s a bunch of Houdini ops within reach and they can do much better stuff.

3 Likes

If it’s the guy who shrunk his cg for years because “black edges” then maybe he should have taken my class.

4 Likes

I started as a runner at MPC and worked my way through being a VT assistant before becoming a Harry op, then moved into Flame.
I was put on my first Flame job by having the producer tell the clients that I’d been working on it for a couple of weeks!

3 Likes

I’m pretty sure I got your job as a Runner at MPC when you got promoted, so thanks for that!

2 Likes

I think you did, I remember getting back from holiday and being called up to see John Beadle.

You know what, we worked together for some time in Turkey. Now we’re rocket sciencing, me in Norway him in the USA.
We’re all doing abstract geometry, rocket science and black magic.

2 Likes

I saw Mike Seymour do a demo of flame and was hooked. Then a bunch of fantastic flamers gave me the time of day and taught me everything.

2 Likes

I got my B.A. degree in the CADRE (Computers in Art, Design, Research, and Education) program at San Jose State University. This is after getting an A.A. at a junior college and taking every single computer programming and fine art class. I also blew glass and built large-scale interactive installations. I had a blast at my part time job as a custom picture framer.

I did an internship at Industrial Light & Magic and had the opportunity to learn alongside some of the greatest artists of our time. I was immersed in new technologies and surrounded by supportive, creative people. I observed visual effects supervisors, model makers, matte painters, storyboard and concept artists at work. I attended dailies, television and film shoots, and bid meetings. I attended an Oscar party for “Death Becomes Her” and took my picture holding the Oscar with Doug Smythe. I observed Director Ken Ralston on set shooting a commercial for Perrier France, and he invited me to come look through the lens. I shared a room with painter Yusei Uesugi and John Knoll while I made a shot book for “Young Indiana Jones” TV series. I worked on the archives for Star Wars, organizing massive amounts of slides and prints into useful reference for the future film “prequels”. I hung out on stages with the model makers while they flew giant motion control camera rigs through miniature sets for “Intel Inside” commercials, and watched painters rotoscope directly on the film to prep a shot for optical compositing. I got to attend a screening of “Apocalypse Now” in the famous Stag Theater at Skywalker Ranch. And I got to bring my family on a private tour and lunch at “The Ranch” which was a real treat for everyone!

Through these connections, I was able to secure a job at Digital Domain 5 days after graduation, joining the startup as one of the first 50 employees. In January 1994 I moved to Los Angeles to begin my career in visual effects. I launched the i/o department by hiring and training technical assistants. I worked in the editorial department splicing celluloud film leader on original negatives for scanning/recording as line-up editor for True Lies and Interview with the Vampire. While I was in there I wrote the Editorial Tracking Database (a relational database in Filemaker Pro) to track KeyCodes and shots. I discovered the Flame/Inferno software and would spend late nights reading the massive manual and teaching myself the software. The Flames there were under strict instruction not to be touched by anyone except the Flame artists, so it all had to be on the sly. Even the Flame artists were not to be spoken to. Steve Scott encouraged me to learn; he’d wave me over when the coast was clear to share the cool things he was working on. @fredfx sat with us in the I/O department playing his guitar and doing shots, and would walk me through what he was working on. I didn’t get a chance to get on my own system until 2 years later at Square USA; Steve Gray hired me as a Flint artist for Parasite Eve, the video game. He plopped me down in my own office with a Flint and said go for it. I got a chance to really learn editing when I came in on the weekends to edit everyone’s demo reels.

I went on to spend several years working with the teams all around town to complete work on over 40 feature films. I made use of my technical background and assisted with development, testing, and evaluation of a compositing system at many facilities. This included Nuke (using command-line before a GUI was developed), Chalice, Shake, Cineon and 5D Cyborg. Since I enjoy working directly with clients, it was a natural transition to the commercial world. I’m so happy to have a career where I can create amazing things on Flame.

11 Likes