Do you turn your computer off every night?

Hi all, A quick question to all. Do you turn your computer off every night ? At the moment I close Flame and leave the Raid and the Apple on as this is what i’ve done in the past at all the post houses i’ve worked at. But is there any merit in this ? ( Thinking about the environment ) I would be interested to know what you think . Cheers MJ

I typically shut all my software down, but leave the computer on. Mainly for my piece of mind if I need to remotely login last minute from home.

1 Like

Closing every night… mac and linux…

1 Like

I keep everything on, as some small wip archive is started when going home and a bigger one via remote just before bedtime. So all backups are done the next day.

1 Like

Im a strong believer of leaving it on and have done so for many years.

1 Like

I turn everything off I can at home, but it’s just me. If I ran a studio, everything on all the time.

2 Likes

Hi MJ, I tend to leave the work Flame on during the week and turn it off Friday before leaving for the weekend, however when I was working from home, I would turn it off every evening.

1 Like

I leave it, and my laptop and my iMac on 24/7 I frequently need to log into them from home. I also leave my home unit on 24/7 because I am frequently sitting down in front of it for short intervals. The only machine I keep off when I am not using it is the intel NUC that I Z-remote into the flame with.

1 Like

My backups happen at night, so the rack stays on, but the desk (monitors, audio, scopes, etc)all shutdown every night.

Thanks

Thanks for all your replies , it looks like preferences but still very helpful . Cheers

Hey Paul ! how you doing ? I think i’m probably going to do the same as you if i’m not working the weekend turn off after Friday back ups . See you soon for lunch ? Im free at the end of april I can see if the lads are around if you fancy ?

No… they join our renderfarm when someone logs out.

2 Likes

Been shutting it down recently as I have electric heat in my house, winter electricity bills are nuts. This I do know, if I have fried a machine in the past it was during power on.

2 Likes

For a Mac it’s actually best to just have it scheduled to sleep every night.
MacOS performs maintenance but also “optimizations to the system at night”. So somewhat counterintuatively it will technically run better when not rebooted or shutdown for a couple days.

I just let mine sleep at night or also during the day when not using it and only shutdown when away from home etc.

3 Likes

Thanks FLYfx , you’re right about the electricity

1 Like

Definitely. I’ve been back in the office since last September, so a lunch is long overdue.

1 Like

Turn everything off at night. No reason to chow down on electricity if you’re not using it. Heat is wearing your machine down; not powering it off and on. There is no harm in shutting down a modern computer; keeping it on is very old school mentality for computers from long ago. Does powering down your computer wear it down? | HowStuffWorks

2 Likes

Personally, I power down every night. But that’s just because I need sleep.

2 Likes

Boost that income bro.

1 Like