Facetracker

Hi hive!

…and again I’m reading a treatment where the director tells the agency that face replacements ‘a la instagram/ pinscreen’ should be easy as the tech exists. I’ve managed to convince the agency that it’s not (yet) … but was wondering if there’s anything out there that comes close? It doesn’t have to be perfect… just as close as insta… Keentools looks good anything else?

Thanks!

1 Like

Also interested to hear if anyone has exported Keen tools tracked geometry to Flame…
We have done some substantial digital make up with Mocha Pro’s exported alembic mesh as well as using the motion vectors warping…

Sure, the tech exists, but people at the commercial level that are doing it well enough for you to care about are short listed for VES Awards in Compositing on jobs costing 7 figures.

And, unrelated, I’ve seen far too many jobs attempted in machine learning, they didn’t work out well, and were redone with traditional visual effects techniques.

1 Like

@randy Spending 7 figs on a “Feeding the Hungry” PSA is about as big of an indictment of agency Lion chasing as I have ever seen. Is that counting the value of a donated Super Bowl media buy or something?

e: not bagging on the work. It looks great. Just a bit taken aback by spending that much money on what came across as trophy chasing.

2 Likes

No idea. I’m just guessing.

1 Like

This stuff just pisses me off… “I was created by Artificial Intelligence…” … No mam… you were created by some very talented visual effects artists … credit where credit’s due etc…

1 Like

Dude you’re good. Love ya. We each have friends that worked for months and gave up their lives for this. It is not easy.

@randy the one in the video has been freed from the Nuke mines and is both on Flame and a member of these boards now! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yasss! Because she puts up with us she’s been promoted to 12bit.

I haven’t tried it but Syntheyes has face tracking tools but I think it’s pretty old and I haven’t heard of anyone actually using it on a job. I found Keen Tools facetracker to be frustrating. that’s probably because it’s a complicated program that has to work within the structure and UI of Nuke but I gave up on trying to use it for the one job that I had where it would have been useful. Seems like it needs some real “sit down and do tutorials” time.

I was anecdotally telling some agency folk yesterday about this exact scenario. The point I made is that it’s fairly easy to get 70% of the way there and considerably harder to drag something across the finish line.

Not always easy to explain that to people.

I will say, I’ve been spending some time with Mocha’s mesh tracker and the thing is frighteningly good. I haven’t thrown a whole face at it, but it may be something to explore.

1 Like

VFX companies that they will brag about nonexistent tech for YEARS before ever saying, “we hire really good people.”

2 Likes

I call it a Shoulder Shrug Technology. Sure, it exists. I bash it together in a few days, then I post it. Then you tell me you don’t like something and you want something to be different or better. And I shrug my shoulders and say sorry, can’t help ya.

2 Likes

Talking about getting to 70%

You think that you can just figure it out as you go but without prior experience or some lengthy testing you will be left vulnerable.

Everyone has seen plenty of really cool examples of DeepFake doing the rounds on the internet that makes people think that it is easy.

1 Like

Interesting thread!
I have been offering a faceswap solution to a japanese beverage company that cannot shoot a certain celebrity through covid. So I’ve been training his face and comping his onto a stand in model. I have been successful in replacing his face but not hair and ears and I have suggested to use both a full head replacement and AI solution so I ca n deliver a head replacement and face swap solution without going fully cg. I haven’t tried keentools out but that was what I suggested to try for the next round. I have seen some amazing work done at Disney but it’s all proprietary and not available of course. It’s been fun to learn machine learning a bit but I still take it into flame to do some relighting and extensive color work

2 Likes

That sounds cool as hell.