FBX import problems

@andy_dill MochaPro standalone gives the alignment dialog as well. I hadn’t seen the “unexpected large animation interval” error before.

First and second frame of x-translation:
Key 0
Frame 1
Value 1105.675537109
RHandle_dX 0.000666658103
RHandle_dY 0
LHandle_dX -0.000666658103
LHandle_dY 0
CurveMode hermite
CurveOrder linear
End
Key 1
Frame 1.00199997
Value 1105.369750977
RHandle_dX 0.000666658103
RHandle_dY -0.190958664
LHandle_dX -0.000666658103
LHandle_dY 0.190958664
CurveMode hermite
CurveOrder linear
End

Last frame of x-translation:
Key 14405
Frame 1.00199997
Value 1147.788208008
RHandle_dX 0.25
RHandle_dY 0
LHandle_dX -0.25
LHandle_dY -0
CurveMode hermite
CurveOrder linear
End

note that the second frame and the last have the same “frame” amount: 1.00199997 (all the frames in between do as well)

and for what it’s worth, if you multiply the f1 timecode frame number (1,023,128) by just the decimals of that frame amount (0.00199997) you get 2046, which is hella close to 2048 which is one of those “computer numbers” and while I don’t know anything about what is going on, it does seem like flame’s trying to do some helpful math to keep your start frame from being over a million, and it is doing that math wrong.

2 Likes

I’m gonna see if I can learn enough Syntheyes in the next 10 minutes to cause it to start a track at ONE MILLION.

edit: I’m on the right track–and Russ Anderson is a king:

“If you really, really, want to be reading and typing six or seven digit frame numbers within SynthEyes, you can turn on the “Match frame#” preference. When you do so, SynthEyes will add the first frame number of the currently-active camera to all frame numbers it displays to you. You can turn this preference on or off if you want to see the file numbering temporarily.”

edit 2:
I exported an FBX out of Syntheyes starting at f950,400 and got the bad warning.

Screen Shot 2020-12-14 at 9.00.35 PM

FRAME FOUR HUNDRED NINETY NINE THOUSAND NINE HUNDRED (499900) is the last frame where you get the “good” warning. 490,001 and you get the bad warning.

Here is two fbx’s that prove it.
F490000_fbx.zip (41.5 KB)

2 Likes

So this gets me closer…and pulls up the expected “Alignment…” dialogue box.

I wonder if it’s as simple as the FBX framerate was incorrect on export? The only time I’ve ever seen FBX not align with the background plate is because someone didn’t export it with a framerate that matches the live action.

I just tried moving my start frame up to 400,000 to see if it would complain about my f499901 fbx and it still did, I also cannot get the good warning when I copy your start frame and load the fbx.

EDIT: this is weird. I got the bad warning, then the good one, but still had the keyframe issue, so I went to my generated FBX’s.

I set the start frame to 499901 and got the bad warning on the f499901 fbx. loading it in I could see that there was a keyframe on my start frame, and then, another 499901 frames downt he line, was my animation. A translate X of 499900 did the trick.

I’ll be back with an edit 2 if I can get the actual track to behave this way, not that it solves much.

1 Like

@randy that is the exact right start frame. Did you get that by changing frame rate? The project I am using is 24 fps.

1 Like

Nope, just typed in 1023128 in the “Start Frame” field…SF:.

I really think Flame is doing some math under the hood. The first time I loaded the FBX after changing the SF to 1023128 and then I got the “Align…” dialogue, I aligned to the 1023128, I SWEAR I saw all the animation channels looking all cute and correct, doing their thing, but Flame was spinning beach balls and when it came back to it was all squashed into 1 frame. I’ve tried 15 times since and I can’t reproduce it. :frowning:

Flame also makes a “zero” keyframe. For my tests, any one that kicks up the bad warning, even if I get the good warning afterwards, Flame will generate a keyframe at zero, and then offset that AND all of your real keyframes so that the animation starts at F1, so I’m getting a batch of very negative keyframes.

But yeah, Flame’s doing something fucked up, and I’ve seen some inconsistencies–I had one time where the tracked camera was between frames 1 and 30. Way too many keyframes per frame, but they weren’t inside a single frame.

I’m going to bed. Good luck.

1 Like

They are using FBX version 6.1 for creating the camera and testing in Maya.

1 Like

Hmm…do they have an option of Autodesk FBX 2010?

I passed on the FBX 2010 suggestion. They are going to go back to the drawing board for a bit.

Thank you guys for all your help and suggestions.

Hi, I’m having the same problem with a camera that a MM provider gave me, even though I works flawlessly on Maya and I can see it on Nuke, each time I try to import it to Flame it tries to adjust in a weird way, Sometimes it has 2 keyframes and sometimes all the data is contained between frames. When I try to scale them flame crashes too. I exported the camera from Maya as well and it seems that the result is the same, I’m in 2024

this is how the animation looks when I import it
Screenshot 2023-11-23 at 9.15.50 p.m.
then I have no other option but to reset it and then is pops out this
Screenshot 2023-11-23 at 9.15.55 p.m.
If I choose align the animation will be no more than 2 keyframes, if I choose keep this is how the keyframes look

then if I translate one keyframe you can see the keyframes adjusting into decimal quantities

if I try to adjust them Flame crashes

If it opens in Nuke can you try doing a writegeo from there?

I did that and when I export to flame it does the same all over again

I got to export on .abc (Alembic) from nuke and that apparently worked far better than using the .fbx

1 Like

I’ve seen sketchy FBX behavior like this whenever I give someone non frame 1 as the beginning frame. Frames from time code or frames in the millions get screwy. I’ve never seen this issue when you give match movers frame 1 as first frame.

1 Like