First hands on with computer generated images

Jurassic Park planted the seed for me as a teenager. Followed by many more motion pictures.

2 Likes

I remember being in the suite next to Badger when he made that.

1 Like

Just to be clear: I thought the topic was, what inspired me to begin a career in VFX. I did not work on that movie. (I wish I did :wink: )

1 Like

1987 - first task at first job in video - figure out how to use the Chyron VP2 title generator.
Iā€™d never done anything except clean the heads on my vcr, and was suddenly tasked with making sense of a big manual full of great examples - you can do this, or thatā€¦but not a single page explained how to do any of it.

still amazed that changing a font required the front panel be opened and a rom chip swapped out for a new one with a different fontā€¦and it could hold six fonts at a time!!

3 Likes

Kern a bunch of dashes together if you want an underline!

My first hands on computer generated images was using this lovely piece of kit

The BBC Micro
bbcOwl
You can draw using BBC BASIC code but it wasnā€™t easy.

DRAW x,y

MOVE 200,300
DRAW 640,800

I didnt really get going until I got my hands on Photoshop v1 and many hours were sunk into that program and the Mac LC computers.

This program and the Mac computers that ran it basically cemented the idea in my head that I just wanted to work on a computer.
macLCII

1 Like

back then (87 i think), they had the vp2 before i joined so i had no clue what came before, and there was no internet or google to help research. If it wasnā€™t in the weekly broadcast magazine, then it didnā€™t exist.

I did spend many hours staring at articles and demo vhs tapes showcasing the graphics made on such machines as Symbolics, or Matisseā€¦even going as far as getting produts demos with the intention of purchasing but it never happenedā€¦just too damned expensive, then Matisse (spaceward microsystems) was sued by Quantel for patent infringementsā€¦

my dodgy copy was on 12 floppy discs, as my Lcii only had a 40mb drive, so not enough space for an OS and Photoshop. Every time I used it I had to load in all 12 discs, then add that massive licence number (from memory!!).

1 Like