Flame 2025 is here! šŸš€

The wonderful @Jeff recorded Flame 2025 videos for the Flame Learning Channel. :fire: 1st video of the series is up now. More to follow over the next couple of days: https://youtu.be/tzGBP47QcLo?feature=shared

10 Likes

@robert.doche That is great to hear. @Jeffā€™s last series for 2024 was very good.

That said, the Learning Channel didnā€™t just cover new features, but also general how-to content, which now is not being refreshed. We have to rely on Logik and Logik Pro at our own cost. That is a definite hole ADSK has left behind.

3 Likes

Stand By Please GIF by Pell

1 Like

Is the license workflow any better? Iā€™m not impressed with the current scenario.

2 Likes

Just you wait. It is actually much worse in 2025. You have to login to ADSK licensing via a web browser. Then the browser opens a pop-up where you need to click a button to launch flame.

Thatā€™s been for many of like that for quite a whileā€¦

The user settings are no longer saved to a dedicated hierarchy (/opt/Autodesk/user) but rather to your OS login files, like most applications. That includes preferences, keyboard shortcuts, and presets.

For example, the nodes you put in your User node bin will be saved in a place that can be accessed from any machine on a network if your user login credentials are centralised and, starting with the 2025 and on, will be availlable in every new release without the need to copy them or re-create them.

You can add to that the possibility to save User-based settings in more places than ever and the possibility to export and import your user-based preferences, shortcuts, and presets.

7 Likes

I just installed the 2025 release version on my Mac. It did not automatically enable Full Disk Access.

So after you install it, run the Service Monitor, do the Full Disk Access scan and fix it.

It will never will until Apple let us do it.

Could the installer remind you then to do it?

Flame 2025 now tells you so when you first launch it.

2 Likes

Ah, I guess I was too proactive, since I checked right after install, but before launch.

Does this mean that my login name and my flame user name need to be the same?

Fully agree. As a longtime Nuke compositor getting into Flame, the Learning Channel has not been particularly helpful. When I want a quick overview of how a tool or process works, the learning channel videos are often just cover which controls have been ā€œaptly renamedā€ to something else or re-organized under a different submenu. I see the value for Flame veterans who want a quick change recap, but it wonā€™t help grow the user base.

2 Likes

Yeah was hoping there might be some ML tools in the release. Excited about the Grain Match.

2 Likes

Perfect . . . one more thing to go wrong.

I canā€™t say Iā€™ve ever had an issue with the whole user thing, more important things to sort IMO.

1 Like

Name and Nickname used for the name fields with tokens can still be set from the application in Preferences > User > User Tokens or from the User tab in the Flame Setup application.

On first use, the ā€œNameā€ will be initialized with the os user name.

ALL THEā€¦
ā€¦SMALL THINGS

NA-NA NA-NA NA-NA NA-NAā€¦

The order of the Sequence tabs is in sync with the Media Panel.

7 Likes

Sure. Many people may have become accustomed to working only on their flame and not sharing with anyone else, but what about flames shared by several people? Changing the OS user can be critical. There are countless things customized with the OS user, including IT in-house stuff. Login with different users doesnā€™t seem practical to me.

Honestly, I didnā€™t see anything wrong with the flame user. Maybe itā€™s tedious to create a user with each version, but with the ā€œcopy user optionā€ it is no problem. It was a good thing.