Flame on a Radeon W5700X

Hey Everyone, putting together a Mac Pro for home. I’d love to have the option of running Flame 2021 on it if necessary - but not ready to spend the money on a Pro Vega II since it’s not going to be my main Flame rig (which is a z8).

Does anyone know if the W5700X will run Flame? Not looking to do a lot of heavy lifting, just want to see if it would be fully functional.

Thanks for any advice or experience!

2 Likes

I don’t have direct experience, but pretty sure I read a post on the Facebook site that a user was pretty happy with it.

I just upgraded to a new iMac with the Pro 5700xt and am pretty pleased, so I’m sure the W5700 will work as well.

2 Likes

I maybe guessing here but I’m on an rented 2017 Imac with a radeon pro 560 which is 4gb of vram. And it runs really well for all the day to day average kind of work. Even sometimes in 4k. Of course when I have cgi 16 bit footage, I need more preRenders. But I think the W5700x (that has 16gb of vram and is newer and probably more modern) would do very well. But again, not sure my opinion os the best.

3 Likes

Thanks!

I’m currently able to run Flame 2019 on a 2010 Mac Pro with a Radeon RX580, so I assumed I’d be ok - but I appreciate hearing feedback on some of the newer hardware as well before sinking money into a new rig.

2 Likes

Flame runs on my Mac Mini. Obviously not great, but, it runs.

Fully functional yes. Might turn to ram swap when doing 4k comps or tons of Denoise or medians or motion vectors or the like.

2 Likes

It’ll run, heck I was using flame on a 2013 imac 27inch not too long ago. So you will be fine as long as nothing too heavy is put on it.

1 Like

Thanks everyone

I wanna try it on a 6800…

1 Like

I just wonder if you are still using the same setup, cuz ı’ve been using 2010 mac pro for my dailybasis with the stock gpu setup.
My question is, investing some money on the 2010 mac pro still relevant or should i get rid of that for much newer build (preferably hackintosh cuz it seems much cheaper on the paper) :slight_smile:

No, it’s not worth investing in a 13-year-old product. Does the trash can run Flame 2023.3 ish? Yes. Does it work? Yes. Is it optimal? No. The fastest trash can Macs are about 31 minutes on the Flame Benchmark, whereas new Linux Threadripper Pro builds are in the 4 minute range, and Mac Studios are in the 8 minute range.

3 Likes