Games Corner

If you’re looking for an old school arcade style game that is more fun than it has a right to be, check out Vampire Survivor, super cheap ($3) and honestly one of the funnest play it and walk away games I’ve played in a long time. Vampire Survivors on Steam

Shhh…don’t tell my wife, but if I get the first and second letters in Wordle…i type that in google search and look for the autocompletes…anyways…

My XBox One died last year and half ago…in the middle of lockdown and Call of Duty Warzone… then I waited for my for xmas to unwrap my PS5 or Xbox X and it never came. Because Santa couldn’t get one. :frowning:

So I tried out NVidia GeForceNow and man it was pretty good on my old 2013 macbook pro with a wireless Xbox 360 controller (the bluetooth Xbox One didn’t work well). It’s gotten really solid with every update and i highly recommend. But due to corporate politics…COD was and is NOT available but the old Battlefield and Fortnite and Rocket League are, etc, etc. I still want the consoles…but you know what, I’ve been pretty productive (python programming) last year and maybe the COD drought helped with that. Yeah…I would’ve just been playing the whole time.

2 Likes

I have to settle with Majora’s Mask N64 rerelease on the switch.

Have been playing through Ocerina of Time in preparation and I have gotten stuck in the water temple again.

1 Like

I can only speak from personal experience, but I’d say yeah, that checks out.

Every few weeks I think I should throw my PS5 away because it consumes so much time.

Fuck that temple.

Elden Ring unlocked at midnight last night. I did indeed take 90 minutes to make a decent looking character and then spent another 2 hours last night and one this morning playing.

I’m not gonna spoil anything. It’s good. I have found but not defeated the first boss, as well as wandered into areas well beyond my abilities. The world is huge.

2 Likes

Prior to the release of Elden Ring the developer said the game was about 30 hours long. My gameplay clock is at 47 hours; I doubt I’m more than half way through.

It is the best game I have ever played. I have days where I bash my head against a boss (it’s super difficult) for hours and days where I ride around with no real goals. I love all of it.

Edit 50+ hours. 25% of the available trophies have been collected.

Edit 2: I’ve got about 120 hours in the game, and according to the remaining PlayStation trophies and my brilliant deduction skills, I have two story bosses left. On the endgame. All the non-story trophy bosses are defeated. All the dragons are defeated. It’s still just as fun to ride around and find new stuff. Just yesterday my friend told me about a shack where someone cooks Prawns that I had never found.

1 Like

Related to games, and a very fun watch, “The Legend of Vox Machina” on Amazon Prime is worth a gander…

2 Likes

Finally finished playing Ocarina of Time with my 7 year old.

Still a great game. Full disclosure. I don’t think I ever finished first time. I certainly didn’t remember all of the end battles with Ganon. Quite intense.

3 Likes

I feel like I’m super lame, but I really enjoy the latest assassins creed games. I’m playing Valhalla, I do ALL the little side quests so I can be extremely overpowered while playing the game. Basically, I have the opposite experience of Dark Souls/ Elden Ring… and I love it. After a tough day at work I love to just operate on a godly level and crack skulls with a Viking axe.

2 Likes

I beat Elden Ring about a week ago. I’m on “Journey 2” now. Same everything, but the enemies are a bit harder. My son has also requested I get back to playing Horizon Forbidden West, so I’ve been doing a bit of that.

I hope to get the platinum trophy on Elden Ring in a week or so. It’s still remarkably fun to noodle around the world. And @BrittCiampa it’s pretty similar to the Assassins Creed design, but without the quest log. I have a reminders checklist on my phone and was ticking off errands today. (“Bring medallion to Latenna”, “get glintstone key”, etc…) You definitely have to battle some brutal bosses at some point but there is plenty of non-boss action too.

It has been a real treat of a world to explore and I’m glad I avoided the internet until I beat the game.

2 Likes

If I can ever find a PS4/5 at any point sometime soon I fully intend on getting elden ring (I mean, I gotta give it a shot). But MAN my ps4 fried it’s gpu in august 2021 and I still can’t find a reasonably priced replacement (that isn’t a refurb gamble). I currently have the Luna controller with Ubisoft+ subscription, but once I play through all the DLC I haven’t touched for assassins creed and Alien Isolation, I’m cancelling the subscription. The Luna game selection is pitiful. I was so desperate the other night, I played the Blair witch video game, 10/10 would NOT recommend. It is truly a horror video game, the horror being how bad it was.

1 Like

That being said- if anyone has any recommendations for a good streaming/ cloud game service that I can get up on my tv, I’m on the hunt!

Yeah I was thinking that as I struggled to play FarCry on the lowest of settings.
My gaming PC is about 12 years old :frowning:

Streaming Games :cloud: is a thing, surely. I remember it being promoted years ago and it must have improved as time has gone by. I know my internet speed has :+1:

1 Like

I hadn’t realised Elden Ring was on PS4!!

There is life in that old console still.
Might have to make some room. Move over Death Stranding.
i had left it too long between play sessions and I am very confused now when I launch up my saved game.

2 Likes

Imma tell you right now, because of production shortages, even if you have a PS4, it’s basically a PS6 now. Just make sure that fan keeps running (I can speak from extremely sad experience)!!!

In Death Stranding’s defense, I’ve walked to the kitchen and back and had the same problem. It’s a weird game.

Should you get into Elden Ring, I highly recommend keeping some kind of notes. At any given time there are many things to do and the game deliberately has no “quest log”, so if you see a cool cave you’ll have to note that you should check it out. It’s easy to lose track of who you’ve spoken to and what they want. None of it matters in a game completion sense, but. If you want to see as much as possible you’ll have to pay attention. There are many amazing but optional areas.

Notes like: “ Beat the bosses in Leyndell Death Chariot cave” and “ Find irina and tell her that her dad won’t leave his post.” are super helpful.

While this may seem annoying in the modern world of “go here and talk to this person” clarity in quests, I’ve found it fun to feel like the world is mine to figure out.

1 Like

I remember having notebooks next to me playing the old ultima games. It’s been a good habit to have over the years, but as game journaling/map tracking has gotten better I’ve gotten sloppy. Elden Rings is on my hotlist for sure.

1 Like

Must be time for this now.

My son runs around Breath of the Wild with that mask on. Makes it so enemies don’t think you’re a threat and you can observe them up close.

I never played the original game though. Lemme know how it goes.

2 Likes