Has anyone tried running Linux in an VM on a Mac to solve the tablet problems?

This just occurred to me: I’ve tried connecting my Mac to my linux machine via RGS and I can’t get the same tablet experience as going linux to linux. Has anyone tried installing linux in a VM on their Mac and then using that to connect to a remote Linux machine?

1 Like

Yes.

1 Like

And?

1 Like

It works.

2 Likes

What’s the secret? I’ve tried every combination of drivers, operating systems, and different versions of ZCentral and have never been able to get it to work.

2 Likes

@andymilkis I went as far as to dual boot a couple iMacs and my old 2015 macbookPro with Ubuntu. Works nicely as well. Just need a small partition…

1 Like

We run Ubuntu as RGS receiver and it works perfectly.

1 Like

We can get Linux to Linux to work perfectly, but using Linux to Mac running a Linux VM doesn’t get pen sensitivity. I’ve tried Ubuntu, CentOS 7 & 8 with Parallels.

Spend $500 on a cheap Intel NUC and be done with it. Doing what you are is un-neccesary hassle.

1 Like

The secret is that unfortunately it is a secret and it’s not my secret to share. Although, it works.

For us mere mortals that don’t have dozens of brilliant sysadmins across the globe conspiring for us on our behalf, I follow @ALan’s creed. I love my Tiny P340 that Alan suggested. I had Windows and Ubuntu setup in under an hour for less than half a day’s wages.

Thanks guys. We have some cheap hp minis that work great for our staff. Most of our freelancers are running iMacPros, so I was wondering if there was Mac VM solution, but Randy, you confirmed what I suspected.
We have even sent the minis to freelancers that are booked for a month or more, but that doesn’t make sense for shorter bookings.

1 Like

We use little HP machines similar to the NUC solution that Alan mentioned and they work flawlessly. I was hoping for a way to solve the tablet problem if I wanted to run the remote Linux machine from my Mac. I have this great camera and mic set that only works best in one position, and with flame on a separate machine and monitor it’s not as ideal (meaning I only look marginally OK from one angle :rofl:)

1 Like

#firstworldproblems

Totally! But I live in the first world! :rofl:

1 Like

At least you look marginally OK from ‘a’ angle.

You always find the good in any situation. :heart:

1 Like